Robobrew/Brewzilla Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.6-1.7qts/lb.
I have done two batches with 8lbs of grain and one batch with 11lbs of grain.
OK, so your problem is likely because you add so much of your sparge water to the mash before you lift the pipe. You are loading the mash with all kinds of water, increasing the pressure when you lift it.

I always lift the pipe before even starting my sparge. Then I add it gradually, leaving about an inch of water above the grain.

Try it this way and your problems will disappear.

OK, so your problem is likely because you add so much of your sparge water to the mash before you lift the pipe. You are loading the mash with all kinds of water, increasing the pressure when you lift it.

I always lift the pipe before even starting my sparge. Then I add it gradually, leaving about an inch of water above the grain.

Try it this way and your problems will disappear.
That is not what is happening. I have not been adding any extra water to the mash before I lift the pipe. All 3 brews I ONLY lifted the malt pipe and 2 of those three brews it came spewing out the sides.

AFTER having issues and me trying to continue the brew day I added sparge water and thinning the mash actually corrected the issue.

That is not what is happening. I have not been adding any extra water to the mash before I lift the pipe. All 3 brews I ONLY lifted the malt pipe and 2 of those three brews it came spewing out the sides.

AFTER having issues and me trying to continue the brew day I added sparge water and thinning the mash actually corrected the issue.
But that's not what you said. You said:

"The second time this happened to me I put half of my sparge water into the kettle, stirred it a ton, then lifted it up for a "modified" batch sparge.

Anyways, trying reducing the water to grain ratio to 1.5 quarts per pound and see if that makes any difference. Also, lift the pipe slowly, so that a lot will drain before you reach the top.

But that's not what you said. You said:

"The second time this happened to me I put half of my sparge water into the kettle, stirred it a ton, then lifted it up for a "modified" batch sparge.

Anyways, trying reducing the water to grain ratio to 1.5 quarts per pound and see if that makes any difference.
Ok I guess that was confusing since I left one word out and a comma splice.

The second time this happened to me, I then put half of my sparge water into the kettle, stirred it a ton, then lifted it up for a "modified" batch sparge. Which was the remedy.

I don't think reducing the water to grain ratio will do anything. If anything I would decrease my mash thickness to 2qts/lb.

Ok I guess that was confusing since I left one word out and a comma splice.

The second time this happened to me, I then put half of my sparge water into the kettle, stirred it a ton, then lifted it up for a "modified" batch sparge. Which was the remedy.

I don't think reducing the water to grain ratio will do anything. If anything I would decrease my mash thickness to 2qts/lb.
Then try the other suggestion - lifting the pipe slowly. If that doesn't fix the problem, then your system must be haunted.

Then try the other suggestion - lifting the pipe slowly. If that doesn't fix the problem, then your system must be haunted.
How slow are we talking here? From bottom to top, raising it out for 10 seconds?

My system is haunted because of only having one set of feet. Honestly I would rather have the older malt pipe at this point.

How slow are we talking here? From bottom to top, raising it out for 10 seconds?

My system is haunted because of only having one set of feet. Honestly I would rather have the older malt pipe at this point.
I would raise it judged on how much waort has drained. As mentioned, I usually rest it on the lower stop level for maybe 10-15 seconds and then raise it to the top level. But since you don't have the lower rest stop on the American model, maybe raise it part way, hold it for 10-15 seconds until most of the liquid has drained, and then raise it slowly to the top. If you still see wort squirting to the side (so unusual!!), then hold it below the top level until the pressure has released.

I would raise it judged on how much waort has drained. As mentioned, I usually rest it on the lower stop level for maybe 10-15 seconds and then raise it to the top level. But since you don't have the lower rest stop on the American model, maybe raise it part way, hold it for 10-15 seconds until most of the liquid has drained, and then raise it slowly to the top. If you still see wort squirting to the side (so unusual!!), then hold it below the top level until the pressure has released.
I think it is just a grain compaction issue I need to work out. Even when it is fully drained if I start to sparge (even with a fountain head) it will squirt out of a choice few holes straight out. Let's say 1-3 holes total out of the whole malt pipe, but enough to make the surrounding area nice and sticky.

I could be turning the pump on too early and pulling too hard on the grain bed, but even if I tried to stir and reset the grain bed it seems to do the same thing. Only thing that seemed to fix it was thinning out the mash, stirring a bunch, then raising the malt pipe.

I have not been using rice hulls, but I did previously on the Grainfather. Shop who sold me the Brewzilla said it is not necessary. He brews with a Brewzilla as well.

I think it is just a grain compaction issue I need to work out. Even when it is fully drained if I start to sparge (even with a fountain head) it will squirt out of a choice few holes straight out. Let's say 1-3 holes total out of the whole malt pipe, but enough to make the surrounding area nice and sticky.

I could be turning the pump on too early and pulling too hard on the grain bed, but even if I tried to stir and reset the grain bed it seems to do the same thing. Only thing that seemed to fix it was thinning out the mash, stirring a bunch, then raising the malt pipe.

I have not been using rice hulls, but I did previously on the Grainfather. Shop who sold me the Brewzilla said it is not necessary. He brews with a Brewzilla as well.
I have brewed with the Brewzilla Gen 4 for almost 2 years with never once experiencing the leak. It's very odd that you continue to have leaks. I wonder if your grain crush is too fine?

I have brewed with the Brewzilla Gen 4 for almost 2 years with never once experiencing the leak. It's very odd that you continue to have leaks.
what is your mash thickness and what is your process for lautering? Are you mashing out or just sparging?

Is my issue that I am mashing out and the wort is flowing too good through the grain bed?

what is your mash thickness and what is your process for lautering? Are you mashing out or just sparging?

Is my issue that I am mashing out and the wort is flowing too good through the grain bed?
My mash thickness is generally from 1.25 quarts per pound of grain to 1.5 quarts (mostly 1.5). I bring the mash up to about 168 F, let it sit for ten minutes, then raise the pipe slowly for the sparge. I have a rotating sparge arm that I place over the pipe. The sparge water is about 170-175 F, but is likely about 168 F by the time it hits the grain bed.

I have brewed with the Brewzilla Gen 4 for almost 2 years with never once experiencing the leak. It's very odd that you continue to have leaks. I wonder if your grain crush is too fine?

I have the same issue. Maybe it's the new design of the malt pipe? Only one set of 'feet' that sit above the entire vessel with a couple of inches of perforations from the bottom up. Adding water to sparge this means it comes pouring out, many inches of above the wort, and down the outsides of the Brewzilla.
1717194440470.png

It makes a mess for me. I wish it had the two sets of 'feet' instead of this. I hate the new design, for US Customers only (because of patent infringement apparently).

I have the same issue. Maybe it's the new design of the malt pipe? Only one set of 'feet' that sit above the entire vessel with a couple of inches of perforations from the bottom up. Adding water to sparge this means it comes pouring out, many inches of above the wort, and down the outsides of the Brewzilla.
View attachment 849829

It makes a mess for me. I wish it had the two sets of 'feet' instead of this. I hate the new design, for US Customers only (because of patent infringement apparently).
Honestly you are the only one making me feel like I'm not a maniac.

Something must be similar in the way we are brewing. I feel bad I backed the Brewzilla after only one brew and you got it. I owe you a tall one when you get back to FL.

View attachment 849829

Mine has the same perforations as shown in the photo. However, I do have the extra "feet" which sits half-way up the pipe. it is very convenient.

What about the top plate- any difference here between those with "wort sprinklers" during sparge, and those that don't?

I don't have wort squirting out the holes. I use the top mash plate. I put it on after I mash in and stir the grain up well. It stays on top of my grain through the entire mash and sparge.

What about the top plate- any difference here between those with "wort sprinklers" during sparge, and those that don't?

I don't have wort squirting out the holes. I use the top mash plate. I put it on after I mash in and stir the grain up well. It stays on top of my grain through the entire mash and sparge.

Three brews here so far on the brewzilla - I didn't use the top plate on any of them yet. First brew didn't have wort squirting out the holes. The second and third brews had first runnings squirting out the sides.

I guess I should add that since I leave the top plate on, I don't stir at all during mash, I just have the pump running, recirculating wort.

Some might theorize that stirring the grains during mash helps ensure everything is getting extracted. My mash efficiencies on my most recent BrewZilla batches: 89.5%, 85.4, 87.3, 84.7, 84.5, 77.9, 82.8, 79.6, 81.5

So not stirring doesn't seem to be causing me low mash efficiency. Unless those of you stirring are regularly getting 90+%?

I guess I should add that since I leave the top plate on, I don't stir at all during mash, I just have the pump running, recirculating wort.

Some might theorize that stirring the grains during mash helps ensure everything is getting extracted. My mash efficiencies on my most recent BrewZilla batches: 89.5%, 85.4, 87.3, 84.7, 84.5, 77.9, 82.8, 79.6, 81.5

So not stirring doesn't seem to be causing me low mash efficiency. Unless those of you stirring are regularly getting 90+%?
Just clarifying - mash or brewhouse efficiency?

I take notes, but almost never calculate my mash efficiency anymore because I had such good results for years on the grainfather.

I have had 80%+ BH no problem in my grainfather and the first Brewzilla batch. Honestly my first Brewzilla batch was really high and I had to go back and check the volume was correct.... I still don't believe it.

I keep the top screen on during all my mashes. I also recirculate constantly during the mashes, which gives much higher efficiencies than occasionally stirring. My Brewhouse efficiency is generally about 80% - 84% with my Mash Efficiency a couple of percentages higher.

Back