What is this on my cider? Pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutternut

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've made a couple batches of hard cider with apples from our trees before, but I've never come across this.
Just some background. I pressed this in late September '23, and used campden tablets. Initial hydrometer was 1.054 when I pitched (with EC-1118). I racked once, but no secondary fermentation. I've been super busy and am just getting around to it now. I just took the final hydrometer and it is .998. So I guess I'm into wine territory? But what do you all make of this film? Pellicle? It's in a carboy, so I can't really skim any off the top. Do you guys think it's safe to proceed with carb and bottling?? See attached pic.
thanks in advance for any advice.....!
1715025398909.png

tough to say from this pic we need a close up. at first i was going to say its fine and its yeast rafts but i dont like the stringy look on top of the flat floaties. prolly still just yeast , usually my yeast rafts look a little more wet. the skin on those floaties looks a little dry which scares me a little.

another good reason not to look at your fermenter.

That looks like a pellicle, yes.

How long has your cider been in that carboy (since you racked it)?

That huge headspace (containing air, 21% oxygen) is probably part of the cause. A wild yeast may have crept in at some point and they need oxygen to grow a pellicle. I'm surprised it didn't cover the whole surface, as it usually does, like a skin or a "carpet."

Your cider may still taste good, though.
The microorganism that grows the pellicle lives in your cider, not just on the top. Pellicle themselves are harmless, they're made up of carbohydrates, and grown to keep other microorganisms (invaders) out.

After a positive taste test to judge her quality, you could rack the clear cider from underneath the pellicle, and bottle it. Even if pieces of the pellicle transfer, it's still OK. It may even grow a new pellicle in the bottles.

Start siphoning somewhere from the middle, about halfway between the yeast layer on the bottom and the surface. Lower the siphon slowly as the surface recedes. Just make sure to keep your siphon above the trub/yeast layer on the bottom. One of those flow-inverter tippies on the bottom of your siphon will help prevent sucking up the trub/yeast when you get close to it. Once you see trub/yeast entering the siphon, stop the transfer.

Thanks for all the help guys. To your point, Island Lizard, it has been about 6mo's since I racked, so that's what got me worried. I mean, you can't just let the cider sit indefinitely rt?! My own fault. And yes you are probably correct; I bet the huge headspace was an issue.
However, I did taste it and it tasted fine, so I think i'll go ahead and siphon from below and just try to leave the pellicle undisturbed. Fingers crossed I don't end up in the ER!

it has been about 6mo's since I racked, so that's what got me worried. I mean, you can't just let the cider sit indefinitely rt?!
6 months (bulk) aging for ciders is not uncommon at all, especially higher gravity ones. But it should be done under controlled conditions, and without leaving large headspaces. Filling carboys up to one inch under the bung is rule of thumb. Kegs are easier to handle, and reduce potential injury from using (very breakable) glass carboys. Plus the air can be easily purged from headspaces with CO2 or Nitrogen.

However, I did taste it and it tasted fine
That's what you should go by.
Fermentations can be very gnarly, but the end product is what counts. Look at sour beer fermentations, for example.

If you're bottling in glass, take precautions to prevent making a few dozen bottle bombs. Bottle a few in 12-16 oz plastic soda bottles and check periodically if they become harder. That would indicate (unwanted) fermentation is still ongoing, so handle the glass carefully and drink up quickly.

If you want carbonated cider follow the same guidelines as for bottle carbonating beer.

Back