Windows 11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A place for everything, and everything in its place. Every new version of windows seems to be "just hit save, we'll put it in a gigantic box
This seems even more true of Android, btw. Not sure how iOS compares.

In my years supporting business use of (Windows) computers, I found that users struggled mightily with the concept of drives, directories/folders, path names, etc. The "gigantic box" style of storage management seems horrible, but may offer some advantages.

The only Windows OS I had enough issues with to flat out dump before the normal course of change was Windows ME.

Try as I might, never could find semblance of stability with that one.

That’s how I feel about XP. Well, really more about 7. Actually 10 has been pretty good.

But I totally agree about the big box trust us shenanigans.

Bought a new fast PC for video. SSD. Speedy video card. Lots of memory.

Like 30 minutes later, Windows 11 came out. Used the diagnostic tool. My computer will not run Windows 11.

Still have Windows 10.

Dang. Sucks. This could become an issue when Win10 security patches end. Perhaps you can replace the motherboard at that point, preserving the rest of your investment.
You can simply edit a registry setting to bypass TPM, or whatever hardware is incompatible. That's how I was able to install it on my Dell R710 server, it does not have virtual TPMs.

Linux video software
I had the same thought.

Playing downloaded video on Linux is generally not a problem. Streaming services are another matter. In my very limited experience, while one distro may do well (Raspberry Pi Desktop), another (Ubuntu for Pi) may lack the necessary DRM widgets.

Too, though the leap to Linux has never been easier, it could feel like a scary one-way street depending on one's experience/confidence.

Dang. Sucks. This could become an issue when Win10 security patches end. Perhaps you can replace the motherboard at that point, preserving the rest of your investment.

There are ways to install even if your PC doesn't meet the requirements.

tenor.gif

Back