Ingredient Price Increases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try and buy yeast in the winter and grow it out and yeast bank it. Keeps me good for at least a year, i just grew a 3 yeast old frozen yeast. I buy bags of grains at a time from my LHBS and his prices are great, im trying to get in contact with some local breweries to see if i can buy directly from them.

I enjoy the hobby, if it costs a bit more, so be it. I am guessing any other comments regarding uptick in commercially manufactured beer is off limits? I don't quite understand why, as they are probably paying more for their ingredients as well. As I said, I enjoy the hobby, so paying a bit more is ok with me. I usually get about 40 12 ounce bottles out of my batch. Most batches are in the 40 to 50 dollar range in just ingredients. I don't count my time as I don't think it is right to do so. I also don't count the water, which is a huge part of this hobby in both making it, cleaning up after it and the other stuff we use it for. For me, like fixing up an old car, you have to weigh the cost versus the enjoyment of the time spent. Well worth it in my opinion

My local beer store puts “out of date” beer on sale for $1 a bottle. Of course it’s not always something that suits my taste, but when it is I always buy a mixed case for $24. Some time that includes 16 oz imperial IPAs and Stouts, with low prices like that my homebrewing has decreased in light of the high ingredient costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back