American IPA The New West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to see this youtube video and around the 22 minute mark, he mentions "yeast soaking up hop flavor" and how too much yeast can be a problem. I've never heard of this before, has anyone experienced or experimented with this?

I happened to see this youtube video and around the 22 minute mark, he mentions "yeast soaking up hop flavor" and how too much yeast can be a problem. I've never heard of this before, has anyone experienced or experimented with this?

The way he is explaining it is not correct. Yeast cells can have a positive attraction to certain hop compounds. So when they the yeast cells become inactive and drop out of solution, they can draw hop compounds with them.

To combat this, folks practice soft crashing. Dropping temps prior to dryhoping to cause the most yeast to drop out prior to the hops going on

The way he is explaining it is not correct. Yeast cells can have a positive attraction to certain hop compounds. So when they the yeast cells become inactive and drop out of solution, they can draw hop compounds with them.

To combat this, folks practice soft crashing. Dropping temps prior to dryhoping to cause the most yeast to drop out prior to the hops going on
it seems to be a double edged sword, if not enough yeast in suspension you can also get undesirables. I forget which panel but in one panel they where speaking about dryhopping after fuge resulting in garbage smell beer.

Last edited:
it seems to be a double edged sword, if not enough yeast in suspension you can also get undesirables. I forget which panel but in one panel they where speaking about dryhopping after fuge resulting in garbage smell beer.
if you find it, I would love to read up on that. Obviously we can’t even get remotely close to CF a beer but I’d be interested in the design of the experience and the outcomes

Although as a counter point, many breweries still like to dry hop with ~ 1 degree plato left in active fermentation and are able to achieve excellent aroma. Perhaps the additional oxygen scrubbing occurring from the yeast offsets to a degree any aroma loss from yeast in suspension. Either way, it seems to be an example of competing goals.

Although as a counter point, many breweries still like to dry hop with ~ 1 degree plato left in active fermentation and are able to achieve excellent aroma. Perhaps the additional oxygen scrubbing occurring from the yeast offsets to a degree any aroma loss from yeast in suspension. Either way, it seems to be an example of competing goals.
All breweries make decision based on logistics for their systems, capabilities, and price points . My local who makes very solid IPAs, add their dry hops with 2-2.5*p (roughly 8 points in sg left), starts crashing and closes it up. For his system this allows him to rouse the hops, naturally carbonate, and get a level of aroma and flavor they are happy with it. Also helps from a cost perspective

And I know a local whale that waits til ferm is complete. Preforms some cone dumps, then dryhops with a hop cannon, and begins to crash. They will rouse with co2 as well.

We aren’t worried about profit margins as homebrewers so we do have some liberties breweries do not.

if you find it, I would love to read up on that. Obviously we can’t even get remotely close to CF a beer but I’d be interested in the design of the experience and the outcomes
found it

The funny thing is, I've heard some australian hype brewers pushing a new dryhopping technique that is exactly that procedure, fuge the beer clean then dryhop. forgot how they called it.

They call it clean fusion. I was thinking the same thing. Brewery is called one drop. They make some great beers to be fair but seem determined to coin the next DDH or hdhc or whatever.

They call it clean fusion. I was thinking the same thing. Brewery is called one drop. They make some great beers to be fair but seem determined to coin the next DDH or hdhc or whatever.
Have you had any of those beers? be interesting to know how they taste

Back