Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my lettuce, coriander, brassicas have sprouted so I've moved them to the greenhouse to get full light. I decided to start them a week or two earlier than normal. We can still get frosts down to about -5c occasionally but they'll all survive that fine in the greenhouse. Onions are just starting to sprout.

Chillis were a bit patchy germinating at first but they are mostly up now so i can reduce the temperature of them a bit so they don't get too leggy.

I'll sow my toms in two weeks

Here is our garden I built last fall, the trelleces were added about a month ago. Excited to grow veggies again.

1000000723.jpg

Only 3 of my overwintered plants made it, 2x locoto and an aji norteno. I also kept it simple with growing just jalapeno telica, poblano and rokita from seed this year. I am tempted to buy some others though

Last year I grew loads of tomatoes in the greenhouses but I'm doing less this year, instead growing two types of aubergine and a couple of melons

My tomatoes are about 3 to 5 inches tall, still in pots. A few of my peppers are the same or a little larger; but a lot of the peppers are stunted from a white fly invasion. They should come around once I get them outside if they survive that long. I feel like I'm at least a month behind because the days are so warm, but it still gets down to the 40s and sometimes the upper 30s at night, so even tho' the soil is probably warm enough the cold nights would damage (not kill) the plants.

I saved the seeds from a Korean avocado squash last year that hid well enough I didn't find it to pick green (my brother says they look like Seminole pumpkins) and I germination-tested some. I got about 50% germination, and it's late enough I went ahead and potted them. I'll get them in the ground probably next weekend.

Egyptian onions are going gangbusters. I've started pulling some of them to use as scallions. They are very strong-tasting as green onions, but not hot. I started them 2 years ago and haven't eaten any until now, just letting them multiply; perhaps I should have eaten some earlier because I have way too many now and they are taking over 😂

Last edited:
Back