New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing these in a keg fermenter. Trying to figure out the best way to get full extraction without agitation, as it's just not practical for me, as it would kick up all the yeast/trub.

Everything else about this fermenting setup is excellent.

It'll waste CO2, but you could transfer to purged keg with DH in, then transfer to serving keg a few days later.
I certainly could! With my brewing situation / space, the least amount of vessels to clean and prep, the better haha.

I guess I should ask - is anyone getting fantastic results in one vessel without agitation? I're really enjoyed switching to using this megamouth Torpedo keg fermenter setup that I cobbled together.

I'm doing these in a keg fermenter. Trying to figure out the best way to get full extraction without agitation, as it's just not practical for me, as it would kick up all the yeast/trub.
How are you currently adding hops to the fermenter?

I mostly ferment in Fermonster fermenters and dry hop in the primary. The process I have moved to for the last several batches is to soft crash to around 40F, raise the temp back up to 60F, add my dry hops for 2 days at 60F, cold crash, then transfer to a keg. An 8 oz dry hop addition for a 5 gallon batch has gotten me to the hop level I like. It might not be up to the saturation level of something like Fiddens, but it gets me to the level that I like.

I found when I dry hopped colder (say 40F) I did not get as much hop character as I expected. I am not 100% sure of the impact of the soft crash, but I think dropping out most of the yeast before dry hopping leads to more hop character staying suspended in the beer (rather than getting pulled out as the yeast settles). Dry hopping at 60F seems to produce less astringency and hop burn, vs dry hopping at 72F. In the past, I have had batches that took 2-3 weeks in the keg before that astringency settled out.

I have thought about trying a dry hop vessel with agitation, but I am pretty happy with the level of hop character I am getting with my current process.

How are you currently adding hops to the fermenter?

With this setup I'm using a hop-bong. I had a ferrule welded to the keg-lid. Works great.

O1KDTXL.jpg

I'll swap out the top piece for a hop-bong for dry-hopping.

WajaNQJ.jpg

I've considered putting another dip-tube onto the gas-in side of the keg post, for agitation, as I have the top post to pressurize when needed. However, it doesn't seem worth it as I can't dump trub/yeast, so I'll just keep at it with no rousing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back