Recipe for first kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I got my first keg for Chirstmas, so I'm planning my first brew to put in it. I'm thinking of something that I can have a few pints without getting too tipsy :drunk: I kinda had in mind an English mild or brown, or perhaps a scottish 60/- or 70/-. I have yet to experiment with a scottish ale. Any tried and true all grain recipes, or suggestions?

brewsmith said:
I got my first keg for Chirstmas, so I'm planning my first brew to put in it. I'm thinking of something that I can have a few pints without getting too tipsy :drunk: I kinda had in mind an English mild or brown, or perhaps a scottish 60/- or 70/-. I have yet to experiment with a scottish ale. Any tried and true all grain recipes, or suggestions?

Pliny the Elder? :)

You already did the Fat Tire cloner, right?
I'm tellin' ya, this recipe is a nice and smooth recipe that always tastes good when you just want a few.

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
73.7 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
9.2 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
4.6 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
4.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
4.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.3 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
0.9 0.10 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt Belgium 1.030 500

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50 24.6 60 min
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 9.1 30 min
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 4.8 15 min
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50 0.0 0 min

Use a clean yeast (Wyeast 1056) or one of the other american strains, and I promise you'll be going back for more ingredients to brew it again. :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2437&page=11

Thanks for the recipe, looks good. I did make the Fat Tire clone, but used the belgian yeast. It still tasts good. It's bottle conditioning right now.

Well I got the keg reconditioned. Cleaned inside and out and replaced the o-rings. Hooked everything up and it works great, just need the beer to go in it.;) Still looking at recipes. Any more suggestions?

I have an American Brown that I keg regularly. It only takes 6 days from kettle to mug and will taste even better after 3 weeks. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Wild

Here ya go:

Black Boar’s Blood Ale

3 lbs. Amber DME

2½ lbs. Dark DME
1 lb. Light DME
1 lb. Crystal malt (60°L)
½ oz. Northern brewer pellets
2½ oz. Cascade pellets
1 pkg. American ale yeast

PARTICULARS:
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.009
SRM: ~26
IBU: 29
ABV: 6.7%
Cat/Sub: 10C

METHOD:
Start by steeping grains (156°F) for 30 minutes in ½ gallon water. Sparge with another ½ gallon at 170°F. Start boil bring initial water volume to 2 gallons. Add DME and Northern Brewer pellets. Boil 30 minutes and add 1oz. Cascade pellets. Boil 20 minutes add 1oz. Cascade pellets. Turn off heat and add ½ oz. Cascade pellets. Cool wort and strain into fermenter. At 70°F pitch yeast. Primary ferment for 6 days. Rack to keg and force carbonate. Cascade hop pellets can be substituted with Centennial or Amarillo hop pellets.

Good luck,
Wild

Thanks. Sounds like a good one to try, since I have a pound of norhern brewer and a pound of cascade hops on their way. I'll probably end up letting it age for a little more than 6 days though.
I'll let ya know how it goes.

That's fine. I've always found that it tastes fantastic after 3 weeks but does great in a pinch at 6 days. If you have the time, drop the temp as low as you can go for the last couple-3 days at the end of the secondary. That helps to brighten it a bit.

Good luck,
Wild

Back