9-9-9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
It was suggested to me that we might want to look at our 9-9-9 brew soon. The thought was that it will be a big beer and so time would be nice. Also, it might be a kick to target brewing the beer on 8-8-8.

With that in mind, what about brewing a big, golden dopplebock? A nice 1.090 OG, 27 IBU (9+9+9), 9 srm? It would not reguire a ton of hops and could be easily done by extract brewers.

Reactions?

I would up for that. I wanted to participate but was hesitant on the 8-8-8 because I'm not a huge fan of RIS.

I like one everyone once in awihle, but 5 gallons is a bit much stout for me.

That sounds like a great idea! The only problem I see is the fermentation temperatures in mid-August. I guess I need yet another spare fridge in my garage!

Brewing Clamper said:
That sounds like a great idea! The only problem I see is the fermentation temperatures in mid-August. I guess I need yet another spare fridge in my garage!

I thought of that too, but really any style is going to have issues. An ale would be better suited, and a german ale yeast might work. But really I would say temperature controlled fermentation with a true bock yeast would be the way to go.

McKBrew said:
Here is my thread related to the same digit brews.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50404

I suggest a Belgian Trippel for the 9-9-9 (because my logic was that 9's are divisible by 3). Regardless, I am onboard with whatever the consensus is.

I nominate Brewpastor as the official Same Digit Beer Guru.

The thought about triples was they will come into play in the next few years when we get into the real double digits, but I am open to what folks want to brew.

My quick and dirty Golden Dopplebock recipe would be something like:

9-9-9 dopplebock

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
05-C Bock, Doppelbock
Min OG: 1.072 Max OG: 1.120
Min IBU: 16 Max IBU: 31
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 18.50
Anticipated OG: 1.09061 Plato: 21.695
Anticipated SRM: 9.5
Anticipated IBU: 27.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 12.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.68 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.07974 SG 19.27 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.1 15.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.03800 2
13.5 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
2.7 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.03600 25
2.7 0.50 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.03300 35
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 24.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 2.8 20 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP833 German Bock

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 18.50
Water Qts: 23.13 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 5.78 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 75

Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.26 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I could be easily swayed. This will likely be my first brew after a bit of a hiatus. Doppelbocks and trippels both sound good at this point. I will commence lurking quietly in this thread to see how the conversation goes.

...as I recall...the last time BP posted a "quick and dirty recipe," we all just went ahead and brewed it!

Yes, but any brew in August is going to need temperature control. It could be that people wait a couple months and brew it at a time when the temperature is cooler. I would still advise temperature control if we did a triple so the alcohol isn't too "hot".

Yuri_Rage said:
I could be easily swayed. This will likely be my first brew after a bit of a hiatus. Doppelbocks and trippels both sound good at this point. I will commence lurking quietly in this thread to see how the conversation goes.

...as I recall...the last time BP posted a "quick and dirty recipe," we all just went ahead and brewed it!

We need to get you brewing Yuri.

DeathBrewer said:
shouldn't this be done with a decoction mash? :D

Anyone who wants to put on the leather pants and decoct this brew is more then welcome to do so. I will just stick with the Melanoidin malt. I don't look good in leather...:D

uglygoat said:
golden dopplebock. how about a huge tripel?

triple would be cool, but I was thinking that would be good for 12-12-12 when we get to the end of this game and at the point where we will want the brewing sugar to get us to the OG we need.

YooperBrew said:
Have any of you ever had Capital Brewery's Blonde Dopplebock? It's a seasonal (Spring) and it's one of my all-time favorite beers. http://www.capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/blondedopp.html

They sure have done well with that beer! That is a load of awards. Do you know anything about its specifics (OG, IBUs and the like)? The Cheese Cake sounds amazing too.

12 12 12 would be sweet as well. i might have bought it by then though :)

so what is a golden dopplebock? a big helles bock?

Brewpastor said:
They sure have done well with that beer! That is a load of awards. Do you know anything about its specifics (OG, IBUs and the like)? The Cheese Cake sounds amazing too.

No, not a thing! They are very close-mouthed about it. If I can get some this spring (and sometimes I can, sometimes not), I'll send you a sample for your "analysis". I think Sause can get some if it's available, and I'll bribe him to hang on to it for me.

If everybody's down with planning this far ahead, a sour beer would be no problem :D Any possibility for future X-X-X date Brewpastor? ;)
Its not my fav style, but I'd brew this one. They can't all be everybody's fav beer, and I do brew to share as well. Sounds like a good beer/plan.

I'm in for a Tripel or a doppelbock. I also nominate Brewpastor as the official Same Digit Beer Guru.

My vote is for something like a belgian tripel, or strong golden ale. Malt bill would be pretty easy, plus some sugar, and the extract would be about as simple, with about the same amount of hops as the posted recipe. Plus it would be an ale. This recipe is based mostly on Jamil's recipe from the Brewing Classic Styles book, with the gravity bumped a little.

9.9.9 Belgian Tripel

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
18-C Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian Tripel
Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.085
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 38
Min Clr: 45 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.75
Anticipated OG: 1.090 Plato: 21.57
Anticipated SRM: 4.9
Anticipated IBU: 33.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.077 SG 18.55 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
83.1 12.25 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
15.3 2.25 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0
1.7 0.25 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.75 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 32.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.4 10 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 12.50
Water Qts: 15.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.91 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 149 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm all for a gigantic trippel. Doppelbocks are great, but for reasons stated above, people can more easily ferment a trippel in the house. Plus, I think a trippel will age better over time.

I was thinking that if it's a dopplebock, I'd make it in the winter, and have the lagering part done by May or June anyway. Whatever we decide as a group is fine- but I'm still going to make that golden dopplebock!

Brewpastor said:
Yes, but any brew in August is going to need temperature control. It could be that people wait a couple months and brew it at a time when the temperature is cooler. I would still advise temperature control if we did a triple so the alcohol isn't too "hot".
Brewpastor, you forget about us northerners with basements. My brew room never gets above 70F even in the summer. So I don't need temp control for ales at any time of the year.

A dopplebock sounds like a great idea for this brew but I will probably have to skip this one due to lack of temp control. Maybe I will take the recipe and make a Barleywine instead.:)

Craig

landhoney said:
If everybody's down with planning this far ahead, a sour beer would be no problem :D Any possibility for future X-X-X date Brewpastor? ;)
Its not my fav style, but I'd brew this one. They can't all be everybody's fav beer, and I do brew to share as well. Sounds like a good beer/plan.
Now a sour beer sounds like an idea. It might scare off even more people than a lager but everybody could do it. I'm up for a sour beer for a future X-X-X even if it is my first sour. Just expect plenty of stupid questions from a newbie.

Craig

blacklab said:
I would up for that. I wanted to participate but was hesitant on the 8-8-8 because I'm not a huge fan of RIS.

I like one everyone once in awihle, but 5 gallons is a bit much stout for me.

+1 on the above comments

It sounds like temp control might be an issue with the Doppelbock. I'm all in favor of a sour beer, I've been thinking of making one for a while, this would give me a great excuse.

Brewing Clamper said:
I guess I need yet another spare fridge in my garage!

:D the wife is all over my case for wanting to bring another freezer into the house... i already have a beer fridge and an upright freezer, and I have a line on a chest freezer, maybe even two of them...
i mean, how can you pass up a working freezer for FREE...

"What do we need ANOTHER freezer for?"
"well, duh... beer of course..."

was NOT a good conversation...

Professor Frink said:
It sounds like temp control might be an issue with the Doppelbock. I'm all in favor of a sour beer, I've been thinking of making one for a while, this would give me a great excuse.

I can't lager either. Even being in Nashville, I don't really need much temperature control in the summer for my ales. I could easily keep them at 65 with just a water bath and frozen water bottles.

I could just make the recipe and use a Kolsch or German Ale yeast, though.

:off:
This just reminds me that the local Hoffbrahaus (the one a few miles from my house- not the one in Munich) has their Dopplebock as the next beer of the month:
http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/beer.html

Last year the Adulterator was 11-12%...so tasty too. Needless to say, SWMBO was unable to get out of bed for the entire next day.

As far as 9-9-9, I'm open to whatever. The initial fermentation would be a trick, but I have a fridge for lagering. I'd be more comfortable with a Trippel, but I guess nothing would stop me from doing that either.

Back