"I'm Flat Tired of Tasteless Ales"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, so I've finally tried Fat Tire. They just started selling it in Chicago bars.

It's good, but it's lacking any true malt or hops characteristics. Since I have the kit coming, and since I have some leftover ingredients lying around, let me know your thoughts on this recipe:

Specialty Grains
  • 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
  • 0.50 lbs. Briess Caramel 60
  • 0.50 lbs 6-row*
  • 0.25 lbs Belgium Aromatic*
Fermentables
  • 6 lbs. Munich Malt Syrup
  • 1 lb. Extra Light DME
Boil Additions
  • 1 oz. Liberty (60 min)
  • 0.5 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
  • 0.5 oz Cascade*
  • 0.5 oz. Hallertau (5 min)
Yeast
  • Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II. High gravity yeast with distinct warming character from ethanol production. Slightly fruity with dry finish. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Optimum temperature: 65-75.
Items with a * are those that I've thought to add.

What do you think? Overdoing it, or will this add just a tad more flavor and character?

Most looks good. You could probably just use 2-row instead of 6. The cascade might be a little out of place. Maybe just replace it with more liberty? Unless you want the little bit of citrius comming through, then leave it in. In all, it looks very tasty.

combining that victory with the aromatic will definitley give it a malty/bready backbone...why only 1/2 lbs of 6-row? i would do like 2 lbs or more of 6-row or pils malt if you can handle that much grain in a mini-mash...(the more base grain you mash the better i think)

I put up .50 pounds of 6 row because I have that much leftover from my oatmeal stout. I have about a half pound of Aromatic as well, but that stuff is strong and I don't want to ruin the beer.

As for the hops, I went with Cascade because, again, it's what I have leftover. I could double up the hallertau or go more hallertau and then some saaz for a hoppier flavor.

I just can't leave well enough alone. So far I'm not too interested in throwing in my other grains, but who knows? A little wheat might fall into the grist.

Do a search, n00b! :D

Just funnin' ya, but you'll find quite a bit of info as well as a couple recipes if you search. Dude has had good success with his.

From all accounts I've read, a Belgian yeast isn't going to get you there. Think about it....to my tastes at least, FT doesn't have that Belgian yeast aroma/flavor. I believe most recommend using a clean strain like boring old WY1056/WL001.

I did my fat tire clone with belgian yeast, and it wasn't the same. It tastes great, just not like fat tire. If you are going for a belgian style, then keep the yeast. If you want something closer to fat tire, go with something cleaner. Either will make a fine brew though.

Brewsmith said:
Most looks good. You could probably just use 2-row instead of 6. The cascade might be a little out of place. Maybe just replace it with more liberty? Unless you want the little bit of citrius comming through, then leave it in. In all, it looks very tasty.

Ahhh... (lightbulb above head) Pardon my nOOb-ness, the Cascade combined with the Wy#1762 might make a bit too much fruity overtones? Or is my thinking wrong on this?

Ize

Cheesefood said:
Yeast
  • Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II. High gravity yeast with distinct warming character from ethanol production. Slightly fruity with dry finish. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Optimum temperature: 65-75.
IMHO, DO NOT use that yeast.

Use 1272 or WLP051.

Lou said:
i think he said in another post that that yeast killed his father. YMMV.

LMAO....classic.

Cheesefood said:
Can you explain why?

We went through this discussion in the thread that I posted my effort in.

Bottom line is Fat Tire is not a belgian beer. It is an american amber. Why would you want the fuity phenolic yeast thing going on in a beer that should be relatively clean?

If you are after a Fat Tire clone, use what I suggested. If you are after somethign else, use the belgian yeast.

It really gets my goat that these HBS sell these "Fat Tire clone" kits with Belgian yeast. It isn't accurate.

I just read all of the posts in this thread and for the life of me don't even remember what it's about. All I can think about is Cheese's new avatar :rockin:

Dude said:
Bottom line is Fat Tire is not a belgian beer. It is an american amber. Why would you want the fuity phenolic yeast thing going on in a beer that should be relatively clean?

But it wants to be a Belgian beer!

Oh well, I need to swing by the HBS to pick up a new carboy anyway.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain that New Belgium does not use Belgian yeast strains in any of their beers. The mainline ones, anyway. They may use different strains in their specialty brews.

I really like several of their beers, but they're not really "Belgian." They do use a couple wild strains for bottling in their Bier de Mars, which seems like an odd thing to do, but it does introduce a small amount of Belgian "funk" to the beer.

From what I have read they use Belgian yeast in all of their beers. The big difference is the tempters they ferment at. Belgian beers are fermented at about 80F verses the 65F the New Belgium Brewing uses.

i was going to throw that link up there also. the only thing belgian about fat tire is that recipe was thought up in belgium, and they probably use biscuit malt if i guessd which is nice and belgian tasting IMO.

Everything arrived yesterday.

I've decided that instead of making a recipe to mirror Fat Tyre, I'm going to use the kit, add some new ingredients and have my own brew. I'm even going to use the Abbey II, simply because I've yet to use the yeast and I'd like to see how it works. I love Belgian beers, so I'm going to try to make mine a little more Belgian with the addition of the Belgian Aromatic grains. I might even get stupid and throw in some wheat.

I'll post it when it's brewing, along with tasting notes as it progresses. Maybe, for the heck of it, I'll blog it somewhere.

Cheesefood said:
OK, so I've finally tried Fat Tire. They just started selling it in Chicago bars.

It's good, but it's lacking any true malt or hops characteristics. Since I have the kit coming, and since I have some leftover ingredients lying around, let me know your thoughts on this recipe:

Specialty Grains
  • 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
  • 0.50 lbs. Briess Caramel 60
  • 0.50 lbs 6-row*
  • 0.25 lbs Belgium Aromatic*
Fermentables
  • 6 lbs. Munich Malt Syrup
  • 1 lb. Extra Light DME
Boil Additions
  • 1 oz. Liberty (60 min)
  • 0.5 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
  • 0.5 oz Cascade*
  • 0.5 oz. Hallertau (5 min)
Yeast
Items with a * are those that I've thought to add.

What do you think? Overdoing it, or will this add just a tad more flavor and character?

Looks good, however, I would definitely add some biscuit malt in there to replicate the taste of FT

I used WL CA Ale yeast in mine...came out great. Have you thought about trying that?

Dude said:
[/LIST]IMHO, DO NOT use that yeast.

Use 1272 or WLP051.

my first batch, Fat Tire Clone, is in the secondary right now.
recipe used
.5 Lb Caramunich
.5 Lb Munich
.5 Lb Victory
1.0 Lb Biscuit
6 Lbs LME
1 Oz. Williamette hops(pellets/bitter)
1 Oz. Saaz(pellet/.5 flavor/.5 aroma)
Used Nottingham Dry Yeast
Got the recipe from LHBS.
my brewmaster has made this one in the past, as a proven recipe, and i am addicted to it.
hence, my first batch.

i need an avatar like that.
i will talk to my wife and her sister about it.
if i don't ever log in again, you will know why.

hopjedi said:
i need an avatar like that.
i will talk to my wife and her sister about it.
if i don't ever log in again, you will know why.

The important part to remember is to include HER sister, not YOUR sister.

hopjedi said:
my brewmaster has made this one in the past, as a proven recipe, and i am addicted to it.

you have a brewmaster? is that like having a personal chef?

SwAMi75 said:
...like boring old WY1056/WL001.

I don't know how you can say this when SO many GREAT American IPAs and APAs are from this strain. All of Russian River's IPAs (Blind Pig, Pliny Elder/Younger) are 1056. Bell's is 1056. SN Celebration Ale is 1056. Among many others.

You just suck. :p

Cheesefood said:
Isn't that what the Victory is there for?

i was wondering the same thing but according to http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

they are similar but different

Biscuit Malt 25 L This fully toasted, lightly roasted malt is used to give the beer a bread and biscuits flavor. It is typically used as 10% of the total grain bill. Gives a deep amber color to the beer.
Victory Malt 25 L This roasted malt is similar in flavor to Biscuit but gives a more nutty taste to the beer. Victory adds orange highlights to the beer color.

bootytrapper said:
i was wondering the same thing but according to http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

they are similar but different

Biscuit Malt 25 L This fully toasted, lightly roasted malt is used to give the beer a bread and biscuits flavor. It is typically used as 10% of the total grain bill. Gives a deep amber color to the beer.
Victory Malt 25 L This roasted malt is similar in flavor to Biscuit but gives a more nutty taste to the beer. Victory adds orange highlights to the beer color.

I've never used either. Can someone with experience with these two grains shed some opinion?

I just picked up a 22 oz. bottle of Fat Tire at Sam's Liquors last night. The label has 'Chicago Inaugural' printed on it. I'll be cracking it open during my brew session this evening. After all the discussion on this thread, my interest is really piqued!

Back