Treacle v Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
While searching for a traditional English Porter recipe, I found an AG Sam Smith Taddy Porter Clone which called for Treacle. After sifting thru several threads on Treacle and Molasses, I have decided to post the following information in hopes of bringing clarity to anyone else who may encounter this quandry.
The following has been hijacked from the internet.

Treacle is the British generic name for any syrup made during the refining of sugar cane. Therefore, theoretically, Treacle, Black Treacle, Molasses, Golden Syrup and Blackstrap are all treacles.
In practice however, there is a technical difference between “treacle” and “Molasses” in that molasses is obtained from the drainings of raw sugar during the refining process and treacle is made from the syrup obtained from the sugar

During the refining process, raw sugar cane is first crushed then boiled in stages until it has thickened sufficiently to facilitate the growing of sugar crystals which will eventually become refined sugar. There are two main types of treacle.

Light Treacle better known as Golden Syrup (equivalent = Light Molasses), is made from the syrup obtained during the first boiling of the sugar cane/beets. About 65% sucrose, it is the lightest in colour and the sweetest of all the treacles and is usually unsulphered.

Black Treacle, (equivalent = dark molasses) is made from the syrup obtained from later boilings and is about 55% sucrose.

Golden Syrup has a clear golden color and a sweet, rich, distinctive buttery flavor. It can be used just as it is, spread on bread or poured ice cream or pancakes, but in Britain has always been widely used baked goods and desserts, in particular the famous treacle tart, flapjacks and treacle pudding. It can also be used in many savoury recipes calling for sweetness, in particular sauces and glazes. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in most recipes.

Black Treacle has a slightly burnt caramel flavor that is a bit stronger than that of medium molasses. As the name would suggest, it is black (to all intents and purposes). It is most often used in confectionery such as toffee and baked goods such as breads, cakes and biscuits where it lends colour and flavour, but can also be used in savoury recipes such as glazes, sauces and stews or casseroles. It can be used as a substitute in most recipes calling for dark molasses.

So there you have it clear as Treacle, um molasses, er English Style Porter...I now return you to you regularly scheduled programming.

Tonight I made a taddy porter clone and used Lyle's Black Treacle. Let me tell you, that stuff is like working with roofing tar. I had it at room temp and I still could of cut it with scissors. Next time I think I'll chill it and just cut it into cubes:D

3+ years later this posting proved to be very valuable. Looking to make the 11.11.11 Old Ale and was debating swaping out the treacle for mollasses. Guess I will buy the treacle and break out the flame thrower to work with it :)

Thanks

There are times when I've walked the city on really hot summer days. Every so often, there's a slight hint of molasses in the air. I guess it's a remnant of the flood.

very true :) you can still smell it in the air.. back in the 80s/90s, they say there were still parts of the street or sidewalk where it hardened like cement, and couldnt be removed.. not sure exactly if its still true..

anyways.. found this thread while looking up info on a belhaven clone :mug:

While searching for a traditional English Porter recipe, I found an AG Sam Smith Taddy Porter Clone which called for Treacle. After sifting thru several threads on Treacle and Molasses, I have decided to post the following information in hopes of bringing clarity to anyone else who may encounter this quandry.
The following has been hijacked from the internet.

Treacle is the British generic name for any syrup made during the refining of sugar cane. Therefore, theoretically, Treacle, Black Treacle, Molasses, Golden Syrup and Blackstrap are all treacles.
In practice however, there is a technical difference between “treacle” and “Molasses” in that molasses is obtained from the drainings of raw sugar during the refining process and treacle is made from the syrup obtained from the sugar

During the refining process, raw sugar cane is first crushed then boiled in stages until it has thickened sufficiently to facilitate the growing of sugar crystals which will eventually become refined sugar. There are two main types of treacle.

Light Treacle better known as Golden Syrup (equivalent = Light Molasses), is made from the syrup obtained during the first boiling of the sugar cane/beets. About 65% sucrose, it is the lightest in colour and the sweetest of all the treacles and is usually unsulphered.

Black Treacle, (equivalent = dark molasses) is made from the syrup obtained from later boilings and is about 55% sucrose.

Golden Syrup has a clear golden color and a sweet, rich, distinctive buttery flavor. It can be used just as it is, spread on bread or poured ice cream or pancakes, but in Britain has always been widely used baked goods and desserts, in particular the famous treacle tart, flapjacks and treacle pudding. It can also be used in many savoury recipes calling for sweetness, in particular sauces and glazes. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in most recipes.

Black Treacle has a slightly burnt caramel flavor that is a bit stronger than that of medium molasses. As the name would suggest, it is black (to all intents and purposes). It is most often used in confectionery such as toffee and baked goods such as breads, cakes and biscuits where it lends colour and flavour, but can also be used in savoury recipes such as glazes, sauces and stews or casseroles. It can be used as a substitute in most recipes calling for dark molasses.

So there you have it clear as Treacle, um molasses, er English Style Porter...I now return you to you regularly scheduled programming.
OK, I'll use Molasses, but what's the recipe for the Samuel Smith Taddy? It isn't in your recipes! THX - MT2sum

OK, I'll use Molasses, but what's the recipe for the Samuel Smith Taddy? It isn't in your recipes! THX - MT2sum

I pulled this off my spreadsheet and have included pertinent details for you.

SST Porter clone
Black Malt 4%
Chocolate Malt 4%
Crystal malt 15%
2 row Pale malt (Marris Otter) 76%
Black Molasses 1%

IBUs- 35
kettle addition 20
Middle addition 10
Late Addition 5

Single infusion
Strike temp 161F
target gravity 1.054

:mug:

Thanks for the recipe ... I'm a big fan of porters, and recently I found a store in Billings that sells Samuel Smith Taddy, & Stout, so I have something to compare with if I need to tweak ;>).
After I get this where I want it, I'll be looking for a recipe for the stout!

I'm assuming Fuggles and/or EKG for the hops. I would have expected a 60 min hop for the first addition, so I'm surprised to see the first one at 20 min ;), and what Lovibond Crystal did you use? One more question .... did you use blackstrap or just regular molasses?

Sorry about the lascj of details. My bad. Hop additionas as follows:
EKG

This is based on a 90 minute boil.

Total IBUs- 35
10 minutes into boil kettle addition 20 IBUS- EKG
30 minutes left to boil Middle addition 10 IBUs- Fuggles
15 minutes left Late Addition 5 IBU's EKG

Blackstrap molasses was used
I don't recall the lovibond for the crystal anywhere between 20L-60L should be fine.

I just tapped an Orfy's Old Speckled Hen Clone that used Golden Syrup. God Stuff.

What is sold in Australia is, to my understanding:
Golden syrup is originally a Scottish invention and is concentrated sugar cane juice taken mid boil. It is also inverted.
Treacle as sold by CSR etc is sugar cane juice taken later in the boil and is not inverted.
Molasses is the gunk left over after crystallization and is mainly used in stock feed. It also stinks a bit. It is no where near as sweat as our treacle.
I can't give you the actual specifications.
I personally, have not seen food grade molasses sold in Australia.
Like all common names, everyone has their own interpretation and recipes should be more specific if it happens to be critical.
I personally, would be using treacle when it says molasses but that is just my opinion. Only the recipe designer really knows.

Back