An intersting Brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having plumbed my three keggles I decided to give them a try out before I went ahead and built a frame for them. Here's some pics:

Using a knockout punch
pentaxdumpjuly2006065zl5.jpg

Some plumbing
pentaxdumpjuly2006066oh8.jpg

Manifold:
pentaxdumpjuly2006067ox5.jpg

About to start boil:
pentaxdumpjuly2006068he0.jpg

(pic shows HLT written on the keggle, but that's actually the wort boiler)

Resulting in:

pentaxdumpjuly2006076aw7.jpg

pentaxdumpjuly2006077gd1.jpg

(that's over 100 feet of street!!!)

pentaxdumpjuly2006078ge5.jpg

But not all was lost! (actually 14 fracking liters were lost from a 40L/11Gal (50L/13Gal preboil) batch!! But thank God for a good efficiency, when water was added to compensate I still have an IPA, only it will be a 5.5% not 6.5%, and at that point I had yet to add the hops.

pentaxdumpjuly2006079tx8.jpg

Did I mention that the moment I lit my Mash Tun burner Thunder rolled above my head! Though it was sunny everywhere but the over the hills behind my house. Thus this brew shall be aptly named "Thunder Brew".

That is one flimsy looking burner stand, I don't think I'd trust it with a 5 gallon batch.

well it was 105 that day. just glad i didn't scald my self. actually, that's why i lost so much wort. :) trying to pick up a a full keggle while simultaneously trying not to burn your leg on the side of the keg AND avoiding hot spilling wort was, i would guess, an amazing bit of footwrk to have watched. ;)

Back