Question on IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I am hoping to brew soon and this is a recipe for an IPA that I made from looking at a lot of other recipes. Let me know if you see anything wrong with it, or what you would change. Thanks

10 Gallons
All Grain

22 lb 2-row
2 lb cara-pils
2 lb crystal 20L
1 lb wheat malt

2 oz Warrior 60 min
2 oz Columbus 50 min
1 oz Centennial 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
Irish Moss 15 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Cascade 0 min
2 oz Cascade dry hop

White labs CA ale yeast

Too much Hops???

Now I'm thinking of going with 1 oz of both warrior and columbus, since the warrior that i bought is 16.4%. What do you think about that.

Well, some recipes I've seen (like Dude's Pliny) go well into triple digits, but the perception of bitterness maxes out at about 100. Above that, the hops are giving you extra flavors and whathaveyou, but not really any more bitterness (it's like, how much more bitter could it be, and the answer is, NONE, none more bitter...) :D

I brewed an IPA about 3 months ago. I only did 5 gallons, so I divided yours by 2 to compare it with mine. They are fairly similar. You have one more pound of malt than I had (when divided by two), but I got 84% efficiency, and ended up with an OG of 1.074.

I also used Northern Brewer (3 oz at 7% 60 min), Fuggles (1.6 oz at 5% for 30 min), and EKG (1 oz at 5% for 5 min). for the hops, with another oz of EKG for dry hopping. According to Promash, this gave me 63 IBU's, while yours gave me 83.

I consider mine to be under-hopped, but the Fuggles and EKG's come through nicely.

Next time I brew it, I will add an extra ounce of bittering hops, which should bring up the IBU's to 81, which is just about the same as your original suggestion.

-a.

Latest posts

Back