Weyerbacher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have access to Weyerbacher due to their distribution but they have some really nice beers that seem to be held back a little bit by the rather regional brand name and some goofy looking labels (comments from friends that have avoided their product in the past).

http://www.weyerbacher.com/cwo/Beers/

The Double Simcoe IPA, Scotch ale & Hops Infusion are very good. The Imperial Pumpkin is one of the few pumpkin ales that I enjoy as well.

Glib, have you seen that around locally? I need to find some for someone on the west coast, he's going to send me some Alaskan Smoked Porter in exchange.

glibbidy said:
I'm partial to the Blithering Idiot.

Yep...quite the decent barley wine. I just picked up a case of their "big brews" variety pack that includes Blithering Idiot, Double Simcoe, Old Heathen & Merry Monks.

I've raved about these guys here before. The monks, idiot, heresy, insanity...all fine beers. Their "oktoberfest" (brewed with an ale yeast) is fantastic. If you get the oppty, visit the brewery...lots on tap to sample. :rockin:

I've had their Blanche before and much prefer Hoegaarden. I've also had Hops Infusion and definitely had better hopped up beers. I guess that's two strikes. I'll have to try one more and see how it turns out.

erbiumyag said:
I've had their Blanche before and much prefer Hoegaarden. I've also had Hops Infusion and definitely had better hopped up beers. I guess that's two strikes. I'll have to try one more and see how it turns out.

I agree with you there. The Blanche is nice, but it has nothing on Hoegaarten.

erbiumyag said:

I like the hops infusion as a "starter" beer for initiating friends into the hoppier side of beer

ryser2k, that's the same impression I had of the labels :)

brewt00l said:
I like the hops infusion as a "starter" beer for initiating friends into the hoppier side of beer

ryser2k, that's the same impression I had of the labels :)

I just got back from a liquor store run and I was looking at their labeling. Without realizing comments have been made in this thread regarding their labels, I couldn't help but think how lousy a job they do and how much it probably hurts their sales. The labels are very amateur, kooky and generally lacking in theme from one style to the other. Recognizing the power of marketing, it has probably contributed to my lack of desire to purchase their products.

the_bird said:
Glib, have you seen that around locally? I need to find some for someone on the west coast, he's going to send me some Alaskan Smoked Porter in exchange.

Try Table and Vine. I just did a quick search and they offer six packs for 13.99.

erbiumyag said:
I just got back from a liquor store run and I was looking at their labeling. Without realizing comments have been made in this thread regarding their labels, I couldn't help but think how lousy a job they do and how much it probably hurts their sales. The labels are very amateur, kooky and generally lacking in theme from one style to the other. Recognizing the power of marketing, it has probably contributed to my lack of desire to purchase their products.

You don't know what your missing. Remember it's not what's on the label, it's what's in the bottle that counts. This is the reason I only use a sharpie and masking tape for my beers.

glibbidy said:
Try Table and Vine. I just did a quick search and they offer six packs for 13.99.

I didn't see any sixers, but they had four or five selections of bombers. I almost missed them, I was on my way to the counter when they caught my eye. They are currently on their way to the West Coast.

I can't remember if I told you what I actually sent. One bomber of the Double Simcoe, two bottles of - I think it was called Inferno, maybe? I only had three bottles of Weyerbacher, so I put in a bomber of McNeill's Imperial IPA. Ray McNeill's a buddy of Gilb's, he came to our brew session, and since you can barely find that beer around here, no WAY you'll ever find it out by you. I haven't had the IIPA yet, but the beers of his that I have had are pretty incredible.

Priority mail, so I'm hoping you have them Saturday. If not, I would expect by Monday. I'm cracking the Alaskan Smoked Porter tonight.

The label, though... ;) Well, you'll see...

Those all sound great. I can't wait to try them. I just went over and read some reviews on the McNeill's Imperial IPA. Sounds like it's right up my alley!

A recommendation to those of you that have access to Weyerbacher brews. I was in Altoona, PA recently and the bartender mixed my buddy and I up a delicious concoction called a blacker and tanner. Basically it was your classic black and tan only instead of Guiness and Bass, it was Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot Barleywine and Old Heathen Imperial Stout. Very tasty, but I recommend splitting the two bottles with a friend. Cheers!

I tried the Merry Monks a few days ago. I'm not a big fan of Beglian beers so I was hopeful but unfortunately it didn't change my opinion. It had a very strong alchohol taste to it (9.3% ABV).
I do like the Hops Infusion and the Double Simcoe. I agree about the labels, it took me a while to try this beer. I thought the same thing about Hop Rod Rye and I love that beer. Still hate the label.

Todd said:
I had this recently and it had an extreme medicine taste, is that normal? I could barely drink it.

none of the bottles I have had in the past exhibited that trait.

I dunno if it has been mentioned already but Double Simcoe is going into year 'round production starting in March.

Quad is going oak-aged and will be released as Blasphemy. I love the job they did with oak-aging both the Blithering Idiot (Insanity) and Old Heathen (Heresy)...

I found this thread and decided to bump it. Weyerbacher is probably my favorite commerical beer. Merry Monks is one of the tastiest beers I've had yet. I live in Central PA, and so it's readily available.:mug:

Back