Which Grain Mill Should I Purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Grain Mill Is the Best Deal?

• PhilMill II

• Crankandstein

• The Barley Crusher

• MaltMill

• Other (explain)

• Ralph Nader Grinds my grains with his teeth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evan!

Reaction score
As this hobby gets more and more engrossing (if 23 batches of beer in 6 months isn't "engrossing", I don't know what is), I worry more and more about the details. Right now, I'm buying grain in by-the-pound quantities and getting it pre-milled, then keeping it in foodsaver vacuum-sealed bags. While this is acceptable, it's not optimal. So I feel like my next purchase needs to be a grain mill. But there's no clear consensus on which model I should purchase.

Also, how important is it to get an adjustable model?

I have a Crankandstein and I am very happy with it's performance, but I work in a place where I can get some of my parts made i.e. (hopper and misc.) and it's made right here in Atlanta so there was no shipping for me. That being said The Barley Crusher comes with all you need to immediately start milling your grain.

I recently bought the Barley Crusher. It works great and it's adjustable. It's also the cheapest adjustable mill I could find.

If you can make your own hopper and base go with the crankandstein, otherwise I'd say the Barleycrusher.

The Barley Crusher works great for me. I can grind 10 Lbs of grain in about 3 minutes using an electric drill. Those who bought the other brands are probably happy with their grindrer.

I'm making my hopper for my crankandstein right now actually. Damn does aluminum get cold really fast when outside in 12 F weather. Total cost for hopper about 8 bucks. Right now they are on sale too!:rockin:

Back