The other thing your yeast do in your wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Nature News

Mating habits of yeast cells studied

Feb 21, 2007, 20:45 GMT

BALTIMORE, MD, United States (UPI) -- U.S. scientists, using a biochemical version of a computer chip, say they`ve solved a long-standing mystery related to the mating habits of yeast cells.
The Johns Hopkins University researchers say their findings shed new light on the way cells send and receive signals in a process called signal transduction that, when impaired, can lead to cancer or other illnesses.
'Yeast is a very simple single-celled organism, but in many respects it operates much like a human cell,' said assistant professor of biomedical engineering Andre Levchenko, who led the research team. 'That`s why it`s been studied for many years -- because what we find out in yeast often holds true for humans as well.
The scientists discovered yeast cells mate by emitting pheromones designed to attract nearby cells of the opposite mating type. When a prospective partner picks up the 'scent,' it sends a projection toward the source of the pheromone, leading to a cellular merger.
The researchers determined the process is regulated by proteins inside the cell called mitogen-activated protein kinases through a chain of chemical reactions.
The study`s findings are detailed in the advance online issue of the journal Nature.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International

Fascinating. The more I come to appreciate food and beverage the more I realize how much these processes abound and the more I appreciate life! :fro:

sexy news article said:
The scientists discovered yeast cells mate by emitting pheromones designed to attract nearby cells of the opposite mating type. When a prospective partner picks up the 'scent,' it sends a projection toward the source of the pheromone, leading to a cellular merger.

That is HOT!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but it's more like a bunch of guys (or girls - not co-ed) with all the desire in the World, but totally frustrated by the lack of compatible partners.:( All you could do was "divide" by yourself. Kinda like being the only straight person in a gay bar.

Yeast require two different mating types (like us) to reproduce sexually (as opposed to simply dividing). If you buy a single strain culture, there's no sex involved in multiplication. Now, wild Belgian brews - that would likely be a veritable orgy :ban: - or if you mix two strains (of different mating types)

Cheesefood said:
Think they get beer goggles and end up with ugly yeast from time to time?

And then, years later, there's a knock at the door, and a small yeastling says, "Are you my daddy?"

Back