The Standard™ IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
This will be my second time brewing this. ORRELSE adapted my extract recipe to AG, and named it "Snatch Patch" IPA. The main difference was that he used American ale yeast, and I used British in the original. I intend to use a British strain for this recipe in the future, but it just so happens that I'll have a nice Wyeast 1056 slurry ready tomorrow, so that's what it'll be using for this batch. I think it's a good, simple recipe.

The Standard IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.65
Anticipated SRM: 5.2
Anticipated IBU: 66.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
92.9 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 57.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 5.8 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 3.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Simple, and good! Mix it up with your favorite American hops. I think the 1056 yeast will work nicely, but I do kinda like the British strains, for a little more complexity.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like it!!! :D

Nice, simple, and a healthy amount of American hops! I think I might try this later this winter!

How did you like the 1st batch?

CORRECTION....

When I brewed the Snatch Patch version, I used Burton Ale yeast (WLP023).
I wanted to stay similar to yours, but our HBS didn't have British Ale, so I got as close as I could.

First taste, its very similar to yours. Needs aging though.

Its amazing what I thought was almost too "hoppy" then is just right now. ;)

1056 is a great yeast that can be used in most beers, your IPA should turn out good.
On the other hand it would also turn out good with quite a few of the available yeasts. You should brew it once with every yeast there is and report back to us.:) :)

Rookie said:
1056 is a great yeast that can be used in most beers, your IPA should turn out good.
On the other hand it would also turn out good with quite a few of the available yeasts. You should brew it once with every yeast there is and report back to us.:) :)

So far it's been done with 1098 (British ale) and WLP023 (Burton ale), and now 1056. Next, I will probably use 1026 (Cask ale). :)

So is this "The Right Stuff" of which you were speaking?

I hope so!

Back