Hops questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I picked up a copu of the BYO 150 Clones. Looks like some stuff I want to brew. In trying to understand more about what I'm brewing and not just following a recipe, I have some questions.

I'm not sure how to figure out the amount of hops to add. Each of the recipes AAU listed for the hops. Is there a calculator to determine what this comes out to in weight?

Also, I know my LHBS sells hops .5 or 1 ounce packages. It it unusual to have recipes that seem to have additions that are not .5 increments?

fritz_monroe said:
...Also, I know my LHBS sells hops .5 or 1 ounce packages. It it unusual to have recipes that seem to have additions that are not .5 increments?
It depends on the type of hops. I've had .25 oz. additions of high-alpha hops like Columbus, Amarillo or Simcoe and .75 oz. additions of other varieties.

I buy in bulk and store mine in the freezer b/c it's cheaper that way - usually 6-10 oz. My HBS only sells hops in 2 oz. bags.

Using AA % is easier than stating oz of hops.

Say a recipe calls for 3.4 AA and you have 1 oz each of 4.1 and a 5.6 AA.

Divide your hops AA into the recipes AA. 3.4 / 4.1 = .829 (of the 4.1) and 3.4 / 5.6 = .607 (of an oz of the latter).

You can up .607 to .61 or drop down to .6 depending on the amount of water/malt. If you measure your malts exactly (as I do) then you want to stay really close to the numbers you calculate out.

Same goes for a recipe that says to use 1 oz of 4.8 AA and all you have is 4 oz of 3.3 AA. Divide 4.8 by 3.2 = 1.5 oz (of the latter).

I hope that explains good enough for you. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Using AA % is easier than stating oz of hops.

Say a recipe calls for 3.4 AA and you have 1 oz each of 4.1 and a 5.6 AA.

Divide your hops AA into the recipes AA. 3.4 / 4.1 = .829 (of the 4.1) and 3.4 / 5.6 = .607 (of an oz of the latter).

You can up .607 to .61 or drop down to .6 depending on the amount of water/malt. If you measure your malts exactly (as I do) then you want to stay really close to the numbers you calculate out.

Same goes for a recipe that says to use 1 oz of 4.8 AA and all you have is 4 oz of 3.3 AA. Divide 4.8 by 3.2 = 1.5 oz (of the latter).

I hope that explains good enough for you. :D

baby_wtf.jpg

AAU - alpha acid units
%AA - percent alpha acid by weight

AAU divided by %AA = weight

12 AAU / 6%AA = 2 oz.
12 AAU/12%AA = 1 oz.

Whoa, I think I get it.

So, when I look at a recipe that says 8.25 AAU of Centennial (12%)

8.25/12 = .6875 or about .69 ounce of Centennial

Or 3.75 AAU of Cascade (5%)

3.75/5 = .75 ounce.

Now I don't want to get a bunch of different hops, but what is a good selection to keep on hand? I know I've used Hallertauer and Tettnang in several batches. How often do you guys make use of these 2 varieties? And how long do they last in the freezer?

Right. You got it! :D But only if you are using the same Centennial 12%

If the recipe says 8.25 AAU and your Centennial is 11 then it would be .75 oz instead of .6875.

As long as they are vacuumed sealed they'll last for years really.

There has been articles on the beakdown of the oils though.

Back