New Safbrew WB-06 Wheat Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Saw this mentioned on another site

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/00-home/Article.asp?ArticleId=158&PasAllArticle=1

06/2007
Safbrew WB-06, our new wheat beer yeast now available

Safbrew WB-06 is now available in 11,5g and 500g sachets for craft brewing and home brewing puposes.

Specially selected for wheat beer and weizen beer styles, Safbrew WB-06 produces subtle ester and phenol flavors typical of these styles of beer.

Order now, from your nearest distributor!

http://193.238.150.33/SHARED/Doc_51019.pdf

Sweet, I would definitely be up to trying this. I emailed morebeer (as I have gotten the W-34/70 from them before, they are the only people carrying it in small packs) to see if they'll be getting it.

zoebisch01 said:
Sweet, I would definitely be up to trying this. I emailed morebeer (as I have gotten the W-34/70 from them before, they are the only people carrying it in small packs) to see if they'll be getting it.

I was thinking about a rye or wheat beer for my third in line "next brew" and this might push the wheat over the top.

I have a feeling it may be hard to stack it up to a traditional wheat yeast (like WLP300 WLP380 etc) but it might be really good for an American rendition...or perhaps just for something new.

At any rate I'd be game to try it.....IF the price is less than $2, otherwise it probably isn't worth it imo, save for having around.

Well, they aren't claiming it's a hefe, just wheat. [Not that I do either] Their dry lager yeast worked well.

david_42 said:
Well, they aren't claiming it's a hefe, just wheat. [Not that I do either] Their dry lager yeast worked well.

Yeah that is true.

I also used the W-34/70 and must say it worked VERY well, I cannot detect any diacetyl and I did no rest.

This just in:

"We currently don't have any specific plans to carry that product, but I'm going to talk with the people in charge and see about starting to. Check back with me in a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll have good news.

Cheers,

b.j. chandler

Customer Service

MoreBeer.Com"

Planning on a wheat beer here next, I hope I can get some of it to try. Always had good results with their other yeasts.

I brewed a 10gal batch of hefe.
12#pils
8#wheat

and I split the batch into 2 carboys and pitched the tradition Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 and then I pitched Safbrew WB-06 in the other.

The wyeast came out as expected. Tasted great, complex flavor profile of banana hint of spice very nice.

The WB-06 was a nice surprise. It was a "toned" down verison of the hefe. I am not suggesting it was in the same league as the 3068 but it was a "different" taste that was very easy to drink. Less banana which I was disappointed in at first, but on a hot day this beer was almost easier to drink.

I served it at a crawfish boil this year and it was the first 5 gal to go and I have 3 other taps going.

Bottom line I do not think it could replace liquid hefe yeast in the same way that 05 or notty can basic liquid ale yeast but I think if you are up for a nice easy drinking hefe/am wheat it might be a nice change of pace.

I keep 4-6 packages around much like I do with notty for my just in case brew.

T

question for anyone who has used this yeast

planning on a brew in the next few days using 3 lbs of briess wheat dme at 60 and 3 lbs at 10 with 1 oz hallertau at 60 and 3/4 oz at 20 and 1/4 oz at flameout and this yeast for a simple tasty wheat beer.

I would like to know if I should re-hydrate this yeast as I would Nottingham (package instructs to just sprinkle on wort) and should I use one or two packets?

Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers!

Again just bumping this old thread for my own selfish purpose...

Would like to know (based on my american wheat / hefe recipe given earlier) if i should use one or two packets of yeast.

Also can i rehydrate for better results? the package indicates to simply "sprinkle on wort" but with Nottingham I have had much better results with rehydrating. any reason (other than the instructions on the packet :) ) that i should not rehydrate?

Thanks and sorry for bring this up again.

Cheers!

I just kegged a Weisenbock made with WB-06. Since this is a high OG beer, I used two packs. I rehydrated the yeast and aerated the wort. Fermentation took off quick, and was vigorous, even though the temp was kept in the low 60's.

Even though the beer still needs some aging in the keg, it is already very tasty (and 8.2% ABV).

:mug:

I'm using this yeast for the first time. I'm curious, has anyone played around with underpitching this yeast for a different ester profile?

I'm going to try 1 pack for 10gallons.

Also, anyone know this yeasts average attenuation %? Not sure what to enter into beersmith.

I'm using this yeast for the first time. I'm curious, has anyone played around with underpitching this yeast for a different ester profile?

Also, anyone know this yeasts average attenuation %? Not sure what to enter into beersmith.

I haven't played with underpitching, but I got 78% attenuation on the last 5 gallons batch I brewed with this yeast.

I'm planning for an upcoming brew to be an "American" type wheat.

How would WB-06 work for a light wheat?

I know it worked good in my Weisenbock.

ETA: D'oh! I guess if I read the other posts, I would know it works very well in an American Wheat.

I tried it and the clove flavor and sharpness was huge.
Underpitching might make for a different result in your brew.

For anyone who has used this yeast in the past, is it normal to have roughly 24 hours of good bubble action and they suddenly die off? I used it this weekend and I thought I did something wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in... Thanks

Just pitched this into a wheat recipe last night.
6lbs. of Wheat LME
1oz. of Saaz 3.2% (60mins)
8oz. of Crystal 20L

Have fast/hard fermentation within 10 hours of pitching, will check back later with final impressions!

I'm just cracking open a Dunkelweizen I brewed pitching this yeast. I found the phenols to be present, but not very strong. Maybe a little too subtle for my taste, and especially compared to the White Labs Bavarian yeast.

Back