Using leftover ingredients for FIRST PM...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, i had all these extra ingredients lying around so i went to Oak Barrel and asked them if it would be possible to make an Irish Rye Stout. He told me yes, but I have to do a partial mash. So i went out and bought another pot, added a few extra grains and threw together a recipe.

I already had most of these grains in the same bag, so all the grains have to go in it. I tried to stick to style for a Dry Stout. Let me know what you think...

Irish Rye Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

AHA Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-A Stout, Dry Stout

Min OG: 1.036 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 25 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Estimated OG: 1.052 (at 75% efficiency, which is unlikely)
Estimated IBUs: 30
Estimated SRM: 38.2

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.9 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
18.5 1.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 1.50 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
9.2 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
6.2 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
6.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
3.1 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
1.5 0.13 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 3.40 22.6 60 min.
1.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 4.20 7.4 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

A few notes:

The DME i am using is Briess-Pilsner. They didn't have that in ProMash so i just used the Gold. I will add whatever I need to bring it about 1.046-1.050 depending on my efficiency.

The Hops are in Pellet form. I picked the low end of the style to account for increase with pellets compared to whole (don't prefer really hoppy beers anyway.) I also dropped the IBUs by .6 points each due to the fact that they've been in the refrigerator for 3 months.

I figured I'd ferment about my usual 65-67 F temp.

Not absolutely sure about how i'm going to do the mash...here goe some questions...

1. What temperature should I use for the mash and the sparge?

2. My sparge will simply be pouring the water over the grains and through a plastic colander. what may be problems i encounter?

3. Should i get another colander to go on top so the water sprinkles a bit as oppose to just pouring?

4. Also, this means I will have to do a full boil (2½ gal mash and 2½ gal sparge). It's going to be a pain to cool and i don't have wort chiller. I plan to get LOTS of ice and use the sink to cool as fast as possible. What could be the possible problems with this?

5. Could I possibly use less water with this amount of grains?

6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much!

DeathBrewer said:
Not absolutely sure about how i'm going to do the mash...here goe some questions...

1. What temperature should I use for the mash and the sparge?

2. My sparge will simply be pouring the water over the grains and through a plastic colander. what may be problems i encounter?

3. Should i get another colander to go on top so the water sprinkles a bit as oppose to just pouring?

4. Also, this means I will have to do a full boil (2½ gal mash and 2½ gal sparge). It's going to be a pain to cool and i don't have wort chiller. I plan to get LOTS of ice and use the sink to cool as fast as possible. What could be the possible problems with this?

5. Could I possibly use less water with this amount of grains?

6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much!

1. 154F is a good number for mash 158F works too, don't sweat it too much, 150-160 will be just fine.

2. I use a fine mesh kitchen sieve for my draining of the fluids. Shouldn't have too much of a problem. Might want to go fine mesh to ensure no husk goes in the pot.

3. just pour it in and stir.

4. Volume of cold vs hot in the sink might take awhile. I use a tub. Fill and drain 3 times, good to go usually. little ice doesn't hurt either.

Sounds like you are asking the right questions :)
Have a good time:ban:

Good Luck,

Foreigner

EDIT: might want to up the 2-row just a bit. This might be unnecessary...The only reason I worry is because I don't know about the enzyme content of the rye. It might be fine as is though.

cool, thx!

good to know i'm headed in the right direction.

the qty of 2-row was suggested by the LHBS, but i'll check again. gotta go back today anyway cuz i forgot to get the grains crushed. not going to roll a wine bottle over 5+ lbs of grain! :D

ok, well i cut down my water to 1.5 gallons mash (45 minutes at about 158) and a 1 gallon sparge and STILL got about 70% efficiency by my calculations. everything else went good, although my colander didn't quite fit all the grains.

she tasted great at OG reading (1.050) and she's bubbling away. can't wait to see how my first PM baby turns out. haven't made a stout in a while. nummy :)

I miss the Oak Barrel. Easily the best HBS ever.

Rye malt is considered a base malt. It doesn't have the enzyme levels of a good 2-row, but it does well. Flaked rye is a whole different beast.

yeah...they're fantastic. i go there just to hang out alot...talk and meet other brewers...they had the greatest beer there last week: an imperial pilsner. 8.5% it was amazing...they said next time i come in, they'll have the recipe handy.

Good news and bad news.

The good news is, my Irish Rye Stout tastes awesome! Bottling tomorrow...

The bad news is...they didn't have the imperial pilsner recipe again today :(

oh well, i'll get it eventually, can't lager right now anyway :D

Back