New Logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got bored today. Whattaya think?

bloodale3.gif

that's actually a good idea. i should brew up some beers for halloween and hand them out at the parties. there's some great costume parties out this way. i could make a howling hefeweizen, a piratical porter, a starving zombie stout :)

i think i know what i'm going to do with my evening :)

thanks...much better than my plain old labels. i've been meaning to do this for a while. might spend the rest of the weekend glued to my seat and make some more. i think these are worthy of putting in my gallery...it's so empty right now :)

orfy said:
How long does it take from start to finish?
the howling drunk probably took about 2 hours. that includes looking for moon pictures and studying wolves and all that nonsense. it still needs a little work, i think...but i got the style how i want it.

the blood ale logo i made a long time ago. i just threw it into a label...didn't take long at all...probably half hour to get the flag how i wanted it.

Next up...Piratical Porter! I'll try to finish it tonight while i finish off this batch of acid hefe. I'll do my best to post before i pass out ;)

:rockin:

Something about it just isn't right. needs more color and i think the bones are too white. still looks pretty good, tho...this is it for tonight :cross:

piraticalporter2.gif

DeathBrewer said:
Something about it just isn't right. needs more color and i think the bones are too white. still looks pretty good, tho...this is it for tonight :cross:

piraticalporter2.gif

Make the background black like a real pirate flag, then either make the letters white and the crossbones grayish, or leave the crossbones white and make the letters grayish... like the swords...

edit: actually scratch that... i like that background... i think the offset jaw is kind of making it look funny... if you were to give him a rag on his head it'd add color and keep the jaw from attracting all the attention

yeah, i was thinking a red rag. i tried the black and just couldn't make it look right...i even tried making a flag as appose to the "real" skull and bones, but it didn't fit very well.

i like the jaw and want to keep it, but i think you're right...i need to do some modifications to make it look better.

i'll try a few different things today and post for opinions.

I can't wait till my PC is back up and running. Then I can start making labels.

What are you using to print these on, and how easy do they come off?

i have not printed any of these yet. i'm going to try some sample waterproof inkjet labels i received from onlinelabels.com and i'll let you know how it goes.

previously i used 3.33 x 4 shipping labels from avery, but they immediately got destroyed from condensation, so i need something better. these templates are for the same size

yeah, I don't want to get owned by condensation. But I don't want to have to take the torch to them to get them off either

alright, i took away the swords and just went for a flag. simpler is usually better when it comes to labels/logos IMO. i'll probably work on it more and try to make the other one look better, too, but not today. i'm not drinking and i bore easy. i think i'm going to relax and do some reading. in fact, i have a book on pirates i need to finish :D

piraticalporter2b.gif

Man, I've been trying to get illustrator for some time. I can't afford to buy it righ tnow and my trial version just ended. I had it on my powerbook, but sold that a couple months ago. I love that program!!

98EXL said:
yeah, I don't want to get owned by condensation. But I don't want to have to take the torch to them to get them off either
well, don't use the waterproof labels if you have a photo printer. the black runs into everything...they look pretty horrible. if it was just text and bright colored images, it will be fine, but it doesn't like the black.

what i really need is some photo paper labels but i can't find them anywhere. Anyone know where i can get these??? they should make them. it's just photo paper with a sticky side...what's so difficult about that? :mad:

not bad the gradient in the banner going from left to right throws the symetry of the logo off, and the symetry of the logo to the actual label.

The stroked type makes it harder to read

the white lettering on the banner causes to much contrast and has to be countered in some way, so that's why i did the white outline on the blood ale and abv. it makes everything stand out just enough and work together, i think. i tried to create the contrast with the other text, but they should really stay in the background.

i'll play with the shading on the banner, perhaps make it more centered. it may make an improvement, but the shading in general definitely has to stay. i also now have a very slight black around the text in the banner to make that stand out against the shading, too (doesn't look too great in the pic, but looks fantastic printed.)

here's the final for now...it looks really good on the bottle except the black runs a bit. i'll post pics once i get some good label paper that works. it's pretty much finished until i can really see it on the bottle.

bloodale4a.gif

thanks for all the input. next up, i'm going to start working on the piratical porter again :rockin:

Back