Batch Sparge Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Question for all you batch spargers out there...

To what temp do you heat you sparge water to get a sparge temp of 170?

Last time my sparge water was somewhere between 170 and 180 and ended up with the sparge temp in the lower 160s.

I am mashing at 150F tomorrow and can't seem to any equations for this.

Try this:

Wa = (T2 - T1)(.2G + Wm)/(Tw - T2)
where:
Wa = The amount of infusion (sparge) water added (in quarts, at temp Tw)
Wm = The total amount of water in the mash (in quarts).
T1 = The initial temperature (¡F) of the mash.
T2 = The target temperature (¡F) of the mash.
Tw = The actual temperature (¡F) of the infusion water.
G = The amount of grain in the mash (in pounds).

Or, in the case of batch sparging where you know the amount and want to solve for the sparge water temp:

Tw = [(T2-T1)(.2G + Wm)/Wa] + T2

So for a 10-lb grain bill mashed at 150 with 1.25 qt/lb, where you're adding 2 gal sparge water:

Tw = [(170-150)(0.2*10 + 12.5)/8] + 150 = 187

I'm going to be trying my first PM in the not to distant future so that equation's a big help, thanks Bike N Brew. I did have a couple questions though regarding T1 and T2.

I'm not sure what you mean by the initial and target temps for the mash. Is the initial the temp you want the mash raised to when you add the sparge water? Given the example I'm guessing that the target is the temp you mashed the grains at for an hour prior to sparging, is that correct?

Roterdrache said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the initial and target temps for the mash. Is the initial the temp you want the mash raised to when you add the sparge water? Given the example I'm guessing that the target is the temp you mashed the grains at for an hour prior to sparging, is that correct?

T1 is the temperature that your mash is sitting at after mash-in (ie somewhere between 148-160F). T2 is the temperature you want to bring it up to for sparging out (ie 168). The same equation can be used if you are step mashing - just plug in the appropriate values for T1 and T2.

Bike N Brew said:
Tw = [(T2-T1)(.2G + Wm)/Wa] + T2

I guess I had worked this out once and just had it in a spreadsheet but couldn't find it written anywhere.
I didn't want to just blindly do what Excel told me. But it was right.

Thanks!

I use 190F and buffer the water with 5.2, so even if the results are a bit high, no tannins.

SwillBilly said:
This link will answer your questions about batch sparging: FWIW I sparge in with about 190-195 degree water.
Yeah, he gives a range. I was looking for a specific number or a formula to use for different sized grain bills with different mash temps.

I believe the point is to raise the temp of your grain bed to 168 degrees regardless of the amount of grain used. I've done 28 lbs of grain in a Wee Heavy down to 7 lbs of grain for an English Summer Ale. With both beers I sparged with 195 degree water and got good results.

Bike N Brew, another question....

In the equation you show a "+ T2" on the end but in the example you have "+ 150" which is T1. Which one is correct, the example or the equation?

Back