Let's get all MacGyver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Allright folks-

Let's get all MacGyver-like:

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u76/hawkie333/HOMEBREWING/EBAY%20SCORES%20EQUIPMENT%20ETC/

Just acquired a bunch of new equipment. Check my gallery: https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=1&userid=9863 for all the specifics.

Of note, I have:

2 50' 1/2" Immersion Chiller
1 25' 3/8 Immersion Chiller
2 March Pumps
3 Kegs with 3 couplings for sightglass/valve/therm
One of these kegs has a false bottom
1 Keg with a single coupling for a valve
1 14 gal B3 kettle with coupling for spigot
1 7.5 gal aluminum stockpot
1 10 Gal Rubbermaid mashtun "a la FlyGuy"
1 turkey fryer that can support the B3 kettle
3 beefy-but-beat-up-blowtorch burners that can support the kegs
1 three way manifold
1 propane tank

Any ideas? I'm always up for suggestions.

AWWW Man! I knew I was gonna get a buncha guys sayin', "Send it to me!"

What I really was gettin' at (sorry I wasn't more clear :D ) was what kinda brew stands/crazy modifications did people recommend:

Wood Vs. Steel?

RIMS Vs. HERMS?

What's your opinion?

You've got just about everything you need to make a really nice single tier, 3 keg, AG stand. Do you know how to weld? If not, it's time to learn. ;) Do a search and see what you find. There are several people on here who have those kind of setups.

Yeah...that's the problem. Don't know how to weld...researched it pretty extensively. Figure I could rent a regular arc welder...but I don't have 220V...I think most are run that way. I noticed BrewPastor has a pretty sweet setup, and he used the good ol' erector set. I worry about steel setups, though...heat transfer might be a problem. I also like the classic look of the wood setups....I just worry about burning the wood! It looks like my kegs were set up for some kind of wort recirculation (Be it HERMS or RIMS)....I'm just not sure if those methods are everything they're cracked up to be....:(

ScubaSteve said:
Yeah...that's the problem. Don't know how to weld...researched it pretty extensively. Figure I could rent a regular arc welder...but I don't have 220V...I think most are run that way. I noticed BrewPastor has a pretty sweet setup, and he used the good ol' erector set. I worry about steel setups, though...heat transfer might be a problem. I also like the classic look of the wood setups:
brewery2.jpg
I just worry about burning the wood! It looks like my kegs were set up for some kind of wort recirculation (Be it HERMS or RIMS)....I'm just not sure if those methods are everything they're cracked up to be....:(

Any Ideas on how not to burn up a wood beerstand such as this one? If I made holes in the top deck, and laid grates of some sort in there wouldn't the heat transfer/radiant heat cause problems with the wood?

Back