Pittsburgh Area!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I'm heading to Pittsburgh next week and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places for beer...like microbreweries or brewpubs.

Any good suggestions?

I second EdWort's suggestion for the Sharp Edge -- most belgians I've ever seen on tap, always have something on cask, and last time I was there they had Bell's Two-hearted ale on the hop Randall (or Sir-Hops-a-lot, as they call it).

I also have a soft spot in my heart for my neighborhood bar, D's six-packs and dogs: http://www.regentsquare.net/ds6pax.html . Awesome walk-in beer 'cave' with almost 1000 bottles to choose from. They've recently renovated & have a bit more than the typical bar food, but I always stick with the dogs. Always great stuff on tap, rotated frequently.

I haven't made it there yet, but Fat Head's has a huge on-tap selection and their house brew is made by Rogue: https://www.fatheads.com/

The church brew works makes great beer, and definitely worth it for the experience of dining in a church converted to a brewpub. They try a bit too hard with the food, IMO.

I'd add Harris Grill to the list...decent bar food, good beer list and great patio: http://www.harrisgrill.com/

Someone mentioned East End, but the don't do any retail at the brewery, except growler hours on Tue and Tu 5-7 and Sat 12-5.

Church is worth a visit just to see it (and they have a pretty good beer garden with hop vines on the wall), but the beer IMHO is inconsistent and generally mediocre.

Fatheads, in addition to a great draft selection, has a good bottle shop upstairs, and really good bar food (including some of the best wings you'll ever eat)

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll try to hit a couple of these!

Went to Pittsburgh this past weekend and hit Penn Brewery, Fat Heads and Church Brew Works. Penn Brewery was cool and I liked the dark lager they had. Overall I think they were good. Fat Heads was awesome! I drank a lot of great beer there! Church Brew Works - Disgusting...Sorry, but it was. They didn't have one beer that I liked. Plus the bar tender was a complete b**ch. She put down the samples on a place mat but didn't point which ones were which. I figured them out, but come on...how about a little customer service. Not to mention she was short with me and wife when we asked questions. Do you NOT want me to buy more beer, or what?

I also drove across PA to Pottsville to visit the Yuengling brewery. That was a cool tour. They only gave one free sample at the end...I do like the Yuengling. Wanted to hit Appalachian Brewing Company in Harrisburg, but no time...I was there a year ago and really enjoyed it.

Thank to all for the suggestions! Next time I'll have to check out some of the others you recommended!

Sorry to hear that church was the pitts of Pittsburgh...sounds like from this thread they have some hurdles to overcome. Their cherry quadzilla has been getting rather good feedback on tap locally.

Did you get a chance to swing by Troegs in Harrisburg?

brewt00l said:
Their cherry quadzilla has been getting rather good feedback on tap locally.

Did you get a chance to swing by Troegs in Harrisburg?

Didn't see the Cherry Quadzilla, I would have tried that...No, we drive right through Harrisburg on the way to Pottsville and then didn't make it back. I would have liekd to. I heard good things about Troegs. Next time I am definitely hitting ABC and Troegs!!

Back