The best online home brew supply retailer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm doing the necessary research to begin home brewing and although I've looked at a number of home brew supply online retailers, I'm not sure who is the best in terms of quality, service and consistency. Does anyone have a recommendation on a retailer to try who has a balance of good prices, good shipping rates (or free?) and prompt service? Since there are so many choices to make, I'd like to start off on the right foot. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

In addition to those, I've used Williams, Adventures in Homebrewing, Homebrew Adventures, some place in Milwaukee (forgot) and have never had issues.

Yes, where you're located has a pretty big impact on which OHBS will be best for you. East of the Mississippi? Listermann.com has free shipping on orders over $35. Alot of the places carry the same stuff, and prices don't vary a whole lot on smaller items, so oftentimes it comes down to shipping costs and selection (whether that particular site has exactly what you need). I'll use listermann if A) I'm planning on spending $35 or more and B) they have everything I need. Otherwise I used austin homebrew almost exclusively, because of their cheap flat shipping rate.

olllllo said:
You are in generally good hands if you shop the big 3:

AHS - Austin Hombrew Supply http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
B3 - Beer, Beer and More Beer http://www.morebeer.com/
NB - Northern Brewer http://www.NorthernBrewer.com

You might consider shipping distance and charges, which is something that only you can determine, since we don't know where you live.

Whoah, you say Northern Brewer is bigger than Midwest Brewing Supply? I live locally here and have been to both places. Midwest is about 5 times the size of Northern Brewer... I've always gotten solid advice and great products from Midwest. Wish they carried magnetic stir bars though.

Thalon said:
Whoah, you say Northern Brewer is bigger than Midwest Brewing Supply? I live locally here and have been to both places. Midwest is about 5 times the size of Northern Brewer... I've always gotten solid advice and great products from Midwest. Wish they carried magnetic stir bars though.

We're talking online. I have no idea how "large" they are. I see waaay more refrences to NB than Midwest.

EDIT: Google bears this out
"Northern Brewer" Results 64,300 for "Northern Brewer" [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Northern+Brewer%22[/ame]
"Midwest Supplies" Results 12,400 for "Midwest Supplies" [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Midwest+Supplies%22[/ame]

For all I know they may all be like Dry Cleaners... everything goes to one place.

The only place I have ordered online is from Austin Home Brew. They have been great, flat rate shipping, and are very quick to answer any questions or concerns. I have not tried their beers yet, as my first two batches are still fermenting. Shipping has been fast. I really dont have any complaints.

I am not saying that they are better then the others because I don't have experience with the others, but I can not complain about their service at all.

That's right, I forgot to mention where I'm at. Unfortunately, I'm in the home brew supply deadspot of the country, North Dakota. As it stands, the closest place I can go is to Billings, Montana, next closest is Fargo and so on. I found a provider from Minnesota that may be a good shot, but I'd be happy to consider any of the suggestions all of you kindly offered. If my location affects my options, feel free to let me know! Thanks for all of the quick, helpful replies everyone. I noticed someone had mentioned Midwest Brewing Supply - I'm considering going through them since they're fairly close and the prices don't seem too shabby either.

If I were naming a "big 3", it would be Northern, Midwest and Morebeer. AHS is close, but doesn't really compare to the others in terms of equipment. The recipe selection from AHS; however, is excellent.

EinGutesBier said:
That's right, I forgot to mention where I'm at. Unfortunately, I'm in the home brew supply deadspot of the country, North Dakota. As it stands, the closest place I can go is to Billings, Montana, next closest is Fargo and so on. I found a provider from Minnesota that may be a good shot, but I'd be happy to consider any of the suggestions all of you kindly offered. If my location affects my options, feel free to let me know! Thanks for all of the quick, helpful replies everyone. I noticed someone had mentioned Midwest Brewing Supply - I'm considering going through them since they're fairly close and the prices don't seem too shabby either.

If you check some websites they will show a map of UPS shipping times. I know AHS does. I am in Georgia and it takes, well, I don't know how long, but it feels like forever but they are always dead on (UPS shipping times). Northern Brewer (St. Paul) seems to be the closest big one to you so shipping times will be quickest but you can weight that against the cost savings if you go for cheap (AHS) or free (B3) shipping.

Really, there is no such thing is "free" or "cheap" shipping. They still need to make that money somewhere and they usually just add it to the price of the products. I often run my shopping list all the way to the confirm button for two or three different companies and which ever one is cheapest gets the business. Most often, Midwest comes out on top for me; Northern second. Neither company offers "free" shipping.

I can't say which is the best but we've gotten over 30 kits as well as lots of ingredients and equipment from Midwest. They have always gotten our orders correct, boxes shipped out fast, and they were quick to replace a leaky malt extract (only happened once). We've ordered from a few other online retailers but Midwest is our favorite so far. Only one thing would make them better; a frequent buyers club. We would be platinum members. :p

I'm also in a brewing "deadspot" in South Florida. I used Northern Brewer, and was very happy with it, although I haven't used anyone else to compare. After I placed the order on a Friday they actually emailed me right back letting me know that they were going to delay shipment until Monday so the yeast would spend less time in transit, due to high temperatures that weekend. Seems like they have their s**t together.

However, I am looking around for another supplier which is closer to maybe cut down on shipping times.

I usually use my LHBS www.annapolishomebrew.com but they are only a mile away. I used AHS on Friday to get a better bottle, yeast for apfelwien, and a stir rod, the 3 things AHB does not carry.

We'll see

I just got into brewing and have ordered from B3 and AHS.

B3 took about a week to get stuff from Califonia to Indiana and they forgot two of the three better bottles I ordered. Needless to say I was not happy at all, and have yet to get a tracking number on the missing better bottles that they were supposed to give me. Again, not very happy.

AHS took 4 day from order to my door step and everything was packaged and there.

It's only a one time shot but from this alone I'll be ordering from places other than B3 in the future. I can understand a missing sack of hops or a small item, but two fermentors is a pretty big thing to overlook.

I've used northern brewer, the home brewery, and most recently (because they're closest to me), mt washington homebrew supply.

I've never had an issue with any of them. Occasionally, there's an ingredient I wanted to purchase that one or the other didn't have, so I would shop around until I found someone who had it available.

Normally if purchasing online I'll order a couple of batches worth of ingredients to keep the shipping costs lower. If I really don't want to pay shipping (or it's prohibitive) I'll go to my local (woefully understocked) shop and pick up some supplies.

I just got an email saying it took 4 days for AHB to ship my order....are they not open on the weekends?

kram said:
Normally if purchasing online I'll order a couple of batches worth of ingredients to keep the shipping costs lower. If I really don't want to pay shipping (or it's prohibitive) I'll go to my local (woefully understocked) shop and pick up some supplies.

morebeer.com has free shipping on orders over $59 for most (but not all) stuff.

rdwj said:
Really, there is no such thing is "free" or "cheap" shipping. They still need to make that money somewhere and they usually just add it to the price of the products. I often run my shopping list all the way to the confirm button for two or three different companies and which ever one is cheapest gets the business. Most often, Midwest comes out on top for me; Northern second. Neither company offers "free" shipping.

"They still need to make that money somewhere and they usually just add it to the price of the products."
This is simply not true in our case. We simply just don't make that money. We give over $200,000 to UPS per year that we do not collect from the customer. More Beer certainly doesn't make up the difference with high prices either.
I hear people say this all the time. How does Walmart make up the difference? They don't . They just take a 3.6% margin instead of a 4.3 percent margin like Target.

We had a choice we could charge less and charge full shipping but then if you live farther away from Texas you would pay more and you wouldn't save even if we had the lowest price. Or, we could charge a reasonable price that is competitive and make the shipping equal. Instead of you paying more if you are further away we eat more profit if you are farther away. We offer cheap shipping with comperable prices. I think your overall total should be less at AHS. We can't have the lowest price on everything but if you compare your total bill, we should save you money.

Last week we sent an order to Ohio that totaled 70 lbs. The customer paid $5.99 for the shipping but 70 pounds to Ohio cost us $48.27!!! That $48.27 wasn't "worked" into his order.

Thanks for all of the support on this forum.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
"They still need to make that money somewhere and they usually just add it to the price of the products."
This is simply not true in our case. We simply just don't make that money. We give over $200,000 to UPS per year that we do not collect from the customer. More Beer certainly doesn't make up the difference with high prices either.
I hear people say this all the time. How does Walmart make up the difference? They don't . They just take a 3.6% margin instead of a 4.3 percent margin like Target.

We had a choice we could charge less and charge full shipping but then if you live farther away from Texas you would pay more and you wouldn't save even if we had the lowest price. Or, we could charge a reasonable price that is competitive and make the shipping equal. Instead of you paying more if you are further away we eat more profit if you are farther away. We offer cheap shipping with comperable prices. I think your overall total should be less at AHS. We can't have the lowest price on everything but if you compare your total bill, we should save you money.

Last week we sent an order to Ohio that totaled 70 lbs. The customer paid $5.99 for the shipping but 70 pounds to Ohio cost us $48.27!!! That $48.27 wasn't "worked" into his order.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest.

Now if we could attack the myth about businesses magically making losses go away by "writing things off".

EinGutesBier said:
...I noticed someone had mentioned Midwest Brewing Supply - I'm considering going through them since they're fairly close and the prices don't seem too shabby either.

I've ordered from them religiously since March and with over 200 gallons under belt this year...they've never messed up an order, delivered late...or refused to extend a few small favors I ask like throwing in a few extra 10# grain bags for disposing of my spent grains...or upgrading me to gourmet hop plugs at no charge when they're out of the standard.

Midwest is also probably as close as anyone to you and they use Fed Ex...specifically because they'll pick up on Saturdays.

Austinhomebrew said:

Forrest

Let me speak up about this company right here too.. I placed my first order with AHS last week.. I had some issues with shipping.. Not sure if they were packing issues or shipping issues but needless to say a smack pack wound up smacked and all puffed up and a Dark liquid malt extract bucket basically dumped out in the box. I contacted them the day that it arrived and let them know. They immediately offered to reship the entire order and are doing it when I return from vacation!! I don't think cheapest is always best!! Companies that stand up when problems happen are definitely top notch and AHS has definitely left me feeling like this company is o.k.! Good companies stand behind their business and will make things right with their customers! Austin Homebrew Supply is one of those companies and I'll gladly pay $5.99 shipping on my orders anytime!

Austinhomebrew said:

Forrest

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that 70 lb. order to Ohio was mine, and I've got a 30 or 40 lb. order that I just put in this morning. As far as I'm concerned there's no better place to shop online for supplies then your site.

Just a quick compare of a couple things I want to order:

Midwest - 55 pounds Marris Otter:
$44.95 + $20.52 shipping
Total = $65.47 or $1.19 per pound.

Austin Home Brew - 40 pounds of Marris Otter
$53.99 + $5.99 shipping
Total = $59.98 or $1.36 per pound.

On the other hand...when it comes to hardware:

Midwest - Ventmatic Faucet:
$42.95 + $6.34 shipping
Total = $49.29.

Austin Home Brew - Ventmatic Faucet:
$39.49 + $0.00 shipping (free shipping if only product in cart)
Total = $39.49.

I use Midwest when my LHBS doesnt have what i need and I dont have the time for him to order for me. I like supporting my LHBS but its not the end all be all for me. Midwest is nice because they take paypal.

The only order I have placed has been at midwest. I placed an order and didn't receive a tracking number too quickly which worried me, but after emailing support they promptly sent me a tracking number. Midwest also seems to have good prices.

I considered Austin Homebrew. I like that they pay attention to this forum. Flat rate shipping is nice too.

I also considered morebeer.com. Their free shipping for orders over $59 seemed quite nice as I was planning to buy a lot of equipment.

Ultimately I ended up with midwest because the price was right for where I live, though in the future I may try morebeer or Austin Homebrew for supplies as I don't have a LHBS.

BierMuncher said:
Just a quick compare of a couple things I want to order:

Midwest - 55 pounds Marris Otter:
$44.95 + $20.52 shipping
Total = $65.47 or $1.19 per pound.

Austin Home Brew - 40 pounds of Marris Otter
$53.99 + $5.99 shipping
Total = $59.98 or $1.36 per pound.

On the other hand...when it comes to hardware:

Midwest - Ventmatic Faucet:
$42.95 + $6.34 shipping
Total = $49.29.

Austin Home Brew - Ventmatic Faucet:
$39.49 + $0.00 shipping (free shipping if only product in cart)
Total = $39.49.

Please note that we have a flat rate of $5.99 shipping so to compare 1 item at a time with $5.99 shipping on each item is misleading.

If you want to attach the $5.99 shipping to the Marris Otter then you have to point out that shipping is free on the rest of your items on that order. Midwest does not do this. We should have the best overall delivered price as long as you order more than one thing at a time.

Let me praise Northern Brewer. Living in Iowa, they will ship from their store in MN the same day, and i get things the very next day.

That being said, they are also EXTREMELY helpful and honest when it comes to anything. Have a problem?? They will take care of it no matter what it is.

They are also about as cheap as anyone as far as equipment goes.

I agree Northern Brewer is a great place to buy supplies. People should buy from the store that gives them the best overall experience depending on that persons situation.

I was born and raised in Iowa City. Greetings to a fellow Iowan.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

I have shopped at all of them...being in Texas I hate the sales tax at AHS though the service was great and they switched out chrome faucets on a tower for ventimatics for no charge other than the difference in price. NB has been good but 3 days shipping to texas is a bit long...I mostly use high gravity brew in Tulsa, OK. They ship fexex ground which gets to me in a day. They don't have the largest selection but Desiree is really nice and I can order at 4:30PM and still get it the next day.

Northern Brewer is a good shop. I have ordered my mail and stopped in when I was in town (thanks for the tip on Town Hall brewery - great IPA). I don't need them often since Listermann's is my local shop, but when I need stuff I can't get here, NB is my first choice.

Forest, Just wondering are your bulk grains the same price in store? Just wondering if it would be worth a trip down there to get a few bags.

I started out homebrewing with a kit from http://www.thehomebrewery.com/ and it was pretty good, got a few more and was happy. All of them were dry yeast. Shipping took a bit of time since I live in CA. Overall I was happy with them.

My main supplier is MoreBeer (http://morebeer.com) since they are close to me and ground shipping arrives 2 days after I place the order.

I just ordered some kits from AHS and was quite happy with the wit. I'm currently cooling a trippel from them too. The recipe selection for kit brewing is excellent.

I haven't had any bad experiences at any of these stores.

i usually order from morebeer cuz it gets here in one day and they have everything.

my LHBS is Oak Barrel, however...cuz they're the biggity bomb. they don't have all the equipment i need, tho.

I have only used Austin Homebrew and have been very satsfied so far. They had no problem with a couple of last minute add ons after my original order was already processed. On my last order I mistakingly ordered 2 items I didn't need. After a one minute phone call my order was promptly corrected and I got a refund for the items I didn't need.

Latest posts

Back