Unorthodox AG went well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I figured that my first shot at AG would tell me a lot about what other equipment I would need, so I just went for it.

Recipe was called route 66 IPA of BYO, 5 gallon.

11 lb 2row english malt
3 lb munich malt
8 oz crystal 40L
5 oz crystal 60L
1 oz chinook hops
6 oz cascade hops

I mashed in by Bottling bucket(which has a spigot) with a bit of cheese cloth covering the intake to the spigot, held in place by the washer. I nailed the target temp of 156 initially, and because it was 97 outside, the temp held for damn near 30 minutes.
I then added boiling water and lucked out nailing the target of 168 for the final 5 minutes.

I recycled the wort for a pitcher or so and it was running clear. I drained that and batch sparged with another 4 gallons or so, stirred it up, and collected that for a total of 7 gallons.

My boil kettle will only hold 5 gallons, so I boiled for 1/2 hour before I could add the remaining 2.5 gallons. Fighting boil overs was a pain with the kettle so full, but I never had it spill over.

At flame out, I carried the damn thing, hot as hell and heavy to boot, to our kiddie pool. I had placed two towels folded up on the bottom of the pool, and filled it about 2 ft deep. I placed the kettle in the pool on the towels, opened a little valve to let water out of the pool, and turned the hose on full blast pointing at the middle of my kettle.
45 minutes later it was cool enough to pitch. I used a pitcher to transfer it into 2 carboys. It was too much for a 5 gallon carboy and any kind of krausen. I hyad my yeast starter split into the 2 carboys, so dropping the wort onto the yeast did a fair job of aerating it. One is bubbling and the other one is thinking about it!

The last of the kettle was frigging Hop soup! I was amazed how much hops it called for, but we will see! Thanks to anyone who gave me advice on other threads, and please, hold criticism on technique just yet, I was improvising like hell to see if AG is worth doing, and I think I did pretty damn well considering.

It sounds like you improvised pretty well. I feel your pain regarding a boil kettle that's too small. I'm currently doing AG in a 5.5 gallon kettle, but will be upgrading soon.

Welcome to the world of AG... you'll probably never want to go back to extract or PM, I know that I don't.

cheezydemon said:
I figured that my first shot at AG would tell me a lot about what other equipment I would need, so I just went for it.

Sounds like you did a damn good job with the brew. :)

Now for the test.
Explain in 200 words what other equipment you will need. :tank:

-a.

"Donkeys Dick Wit", that is hilarious ohio. Looking forward to college football by anychance?

ajf said:
Sounds like you did a damn good job with the brew. :)

Now for the test.
Explain in 200 words what other equipment you will need. :tank:

-a.

Let me see if I get the high points:
an insulated tun (OR for it to stay frigging hot forever) and a wort chiller(although the pool worked well, except for my aching back!). A longer spoon(that brings a "Batman" quote to mind), 50 or so kegs, CO2 tank, supply lines, fridge, etc.., bins to store grain, a giant scaffolding so I can grow my own hops, etc.....etc...

It will never end(until I do) but I am loving it. Both carboys are singing to me now.."glug glug...glugglugglug....glug..glug...."

Latest posts

Back