Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Howdy from porkopolis. Call me a crazy SOB but I plan on brewing all grain right off. Why play around when I am totally sure this will be a hobby for life. Been studying, reading books, checking forums for a couple months now and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to get started putting my equipment together. The plan is for a pressure cooker steam powered cooler type mash/lauter tun utilizing slotted copper tubing covered with stainless braid for lautering. 8 gallon SS brew pot fired by a turkey fryer. Please no trumped up concerns about propane indoors, fact is that it is as safe as natural gas or electricity for that matter and since I'll be there the whole time monitoring it, all will be just fine. Glass carboy primary and secondary fermentors. I'm working out a design for a temperature controlled box for more accurate fermentation control. But for now just running the setup in my basement should suffice for a couple ale batches while I work that out.

Thanks for all the great information and just for letting me know that I'm not really as crazy as my friends think I am. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the jingle that goes something like this: "Don't go spending a bunch of money on this little pet project. I had some homebrew from this one guy and it tasted like gasoline. YOU just can't do that sort of thing at home and get anything that tastes good!" Bunch of suckers they are! I try to tell them that with the proper preparation, study, and ingredients I can do even better than their beloved miller products. Guess I'll just have to show 'em..... Then charge 'em if they want to drink. Yeah that'll show 'em.

Cheers
Greg

Nothing wrong with jumping in the deep end. I have a friend down in Orange County, CA that purchased a Lear jet before he got his pilot's license.

Bear in mind that typical burner for a homebrew setup is large and requires much more ventilation than a stove. Turkey burners tend to throw off more carbon monoxide per BTU as well. It is tough to get a clean flame with one.

ya know it didn't occur to me that the flame from any new burner could be dirty-burning. If it is, I'm sure I can modify the venturi opening to allow for mixture adjustment. I do have a box fan hillbilly ventilation setup in the basement now from when I was refinishing some furniture, I'll keep that nearby. Thanks for the encouragement, but I don't think I'm quite going to your friends extreme. Maybe the equivalent of a student pilot buying a new light twin;)

I started with AG as well... enjoy it, it is a blast!

I don't know how you can wait that long. It's like waiting until your wedding night to pop her cherry.
Welcome.

Back