Parts List, missing anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Borracho

Reaction score
I am borrowing (from my mothers kitchen) a pot, a ss spoon, and a ss strainer..

I'm getting two 6.5g fermenting buckets with drilled lids. I should be able to bottle from my secondary or primary with an auto-siphon right?

So far this is what i'm getting:
2x 6.5gal buckets
2x drilled lids
2x air locks (one of each type S and 3part)
1x triple scale hydrometer
1x 10" test jar for hydro

I have liquid crystal thermometers at home..

So the only thing I think I'm missing is a way to siphon/rack/bottle....right?

I think I'll be spending 50-60 bucks total and I should be brewing - minus a beer kit of course - but I'll get that from AHS..

You may want to consider getting one of those buckets with a spigot and buying a bottling wand. It will make bottling day go much smoother.

:mug:

S0meB0dy said:
You may want to consider getting one of those buckets with a spigot and buying a bottling wand. It will make bottling day go much smoother.

:mug:

Heh that's sorta what I'm asking..

I has thought of getting the bucket with the spigot and the bottling wand but i thought i read that you could just use an autosiphon and push it out of the top of the bucket..

I'm still a rookie - going to start my 4th batch this weekend provided the wife does not go into labor (although, I'm sure she will just as I get started on my mini-mash as luck would have it)

I would 2nd the opinion of getting a bottling wand and a bottling bucket with spigot as it certainly made things easier for me on bottling day.

The one item I wish I purchased on my initial order would be a Plastic Wine Thief (Fermtech) also available at AHS. Mine just arrived today and it's soooooo much nicer than the POS hard plastic turkey baster looking "Beer thief "thing I got with my Deluxe Starter Kit from Northern Brewer. Makes taking those hydrometer readings so much easier and you can skip out on the test jar with it since the hydrometer fits in and can be read from the Fermtech product.

Also, don't forget the sanitizer! I highly recommend Star San, much better in my opinion than the One Step that also came with my original kit.

Welcome to the addiction and best of all have fun!:mug:

EDIT: Blow off tube is nice to have around too, depending on what you plan to brew. My 1st brew, a hefe had a pretty strong fermentation that certainly took advantage of it, even with a 6.5Gal Carboy.

-David

davidndc said:
I'm still a rookie - going to start my 4th batch this weekend provided the wife does not go into labor (although, I'm sure she will just as I get started on my mini-mash as luck would have it)

I would 2nd the opinion of getting a bottling wand and a bottling bucket with spigot as it certainly made things easier for me on bottling day.

The one item I wish I purchased on my initial order would be a Plastic Wine Thief (Fermtech) also available at AHS. Mine just arrived today and it's soooooo much nicer than the POS hard plastic turkey baster looking "Beer thief "thing I got with my Deluxe Starter Kit from Northern Brewer. Makes taking those hydrometer readings so much easier and you can skip out on the test jar with it since the hydrometer fits in and can be read from the Fermtech product.

Also, don't forget the sanitizer! I highly recommend Star San, much better in my opinion than the One Step that also came with my original kit.

Welcome to the addition and best of all have fun!:mug:

EDIT: Blow off tube is nice to have around too, depending on what you plan to brew. My 1st brew, a hefe had a pretty strong fermentation that certainly took advantage of it, even with a 6.5Gal Carboy.

-David

No one has explained to me what the difference between using a racking cane, auto siphon, and bottle filler in one of fermenting buckets (out of the top)...compared to using a bottling bucket, with a spigot, with a hose attached to a filler..

i'll be back, let me check out that wine thief..which hydro works with the wine thief? None seems included in that set up..

Get a bottling bucket. Bottling with just a siphon is a real pain. The bottle filler is real nice too. It has a valve in the tip that opens when you push down on it. You put the filler in a bottle and push down until the bottle is full. Then you lift up to stop the flow and when you pull the filler out of the bottle it has the perfect amount of air space left in it. Doesn't get much easier than that!

El_Borracho said:
No one has explained to me what the difference between using a racking cane, auto siphon, and bottle filler in one of fermenting buckets (out of the top)...compared to using a bottling bucket, with a spigot, with a hose attached to a filler..

i'll be back, let me check out that wine thief..which hydro works with the wine thief? None seems included in that set up..

I think the primary difference is just ease of use. In addition the bottling bucket's spigot will provide a bit of dead-space allowing any sediment to remain on the bottom of the bucket undisturbed. Again, just a newbie's opinion. :) If you are buying from AHS, I would get that Deluxe Siphon Kit they have which includes the auto siphon, bottle filler and hose. No racking cane needed since the auto siphon functions as the cane as well as far as I can tell.

The other benefit of getting a bottling bucket is it frees up that other fermenting bucket for more brew!

As for the hydro, I use the basic Triple Scale Hydrometer found on Northern Brewer's site, which came with my original kit. It fits in the wine thief just fine and I believe the "Triple Scale Hydrometer" that AHS sales is the exact same one and will fit too (the other hydos sold at AHS have a note saying they will NOT fit.)

-David

Can those bottling buckets be used to ferment (secondary)? Or is that spigot a problem?

Yes, you can use the "spigotted" bucket as a fermenter, but I wouldn't use it as a secondary.
I guess you are going to bottle, which means you will have to add some priming sugar. Most people do that by boiling the sugar is a small amount of water, adding it to the bottling bucket, and then racking the beer onto the sugar solution. If you add the sugar to the secondary, you will have to stir to mix it, and that will undo all the good that the secondary has done.
I guess you are going to bottle your beer. You'll also need bottles, probably caps and a capper. You get the caps and capper from the LHBS or on-line.

-a.

ajf said:
Yes, you can use the "spigotted" bucket as a fermenter, but I wouldn't use it as a secondary.
I guess you are going to bottle, which means you will have to add some priming sugar. Most people do that by boiling the sugar is a small amount of water, adding it to the bottling bucket, and then racking the beer onto the sugar solution. If you add the sugar to the secondary, you will have to stir to mix it, and that will undo all the good that the secondary has done.
I guess you are going to bottle your beer. You'll also need bottles, probably caps and a capper. You get the caps and capper from the LHBS or on-line.

-a.

Good deal, I forgot about that part (priming sugar, and flavor extracts for the bottling bucket).

Contacted Dairy Queen near my house, the girl must have liked the sound of my voice.. Told me there is a shipment coming in today and that they toss out the buckets. They are bigger than 5gal. She said she would separate a few for me, told her I need 2 she said she will grab some extras in case. These are food grade, and should do find as my fermenting/bottling buckets. Wonder if the 6.5gal drilled bucket lids at midwest fit these...

Granted they are 5gal at least...Now I can spend better money on other things and not feel so raped by the shipping costs of 3 buckets (this comes up at 20lbs worth of shipping charge). Worst case I'll need a 6.5 as a primary.. I'm sharing thoughts, in case someone reads it and tells me these are not quality buckets to use. I plan to move to better-bottles (carboys can be a hazard in my home, with kids) as soon as I get the kinks worked out of my brewing..

Back