Grape Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Long story, but basically I decided to try blending grapes with beer. Its been done for a while with blending wine with beer, but actually fermenting the fruit together with beer seems less common.
In any case, its towards the end of harvest and I realized if I wanted to do this it needed to be now. So, I blended a gallon each of different grapes and beers.

Gallon 1. Belgian Pale racked onto red grapes that were already fermenting with wine yeast - because fermentation was going no seconday yeast has been added yet(its getting some 'wild yeast soon).
Gallon 2. Belgian Strong Dark Ale racked onto unfermented reg grapes, Brett C added.

Hopefully it will turn out like this:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/8954
But it may be awful. I had no idea how much grape to add, so I went a little strong in my mind because I can always blend in more beer, but not add more grapes. In both instances the grapes were crushed; skins,fruit,seed,juice all mixed in with the beer. The grapes were various red wine varieties. Rolled the dice :drunk:

Could be good...I think the belgian ales were a good choice

I was listening to the latest Jamil show podcast (the one on brown porters) and they were talking about the next Sam Adam's Long Shot 6pack...aparently one of them is a grape ale based on a pale ale...they were really knocking it

Let us know how it turns out

:mug:

When I was much younger (High School) we used to drink this stuff called Malt Duck. I think it must have been pretty much what you are making. I don't have too many memories of it but I remember thinking it was pretty good.:drunk:

RichBrewer said:
When I was much younger (High School) we used to drink this stuff called Malt Duck. I think it must have been pretty much what you are making. I don't have too many memories of it but I remember thinking it was pretty good.:drunk:

"In the early 1970's, National introduced Malt Duck, a mixture of concord grape juice and either National beer or Colt 45. (The ingredient list on the label simply metioned beer and grape juice.)"

I hope its a little better than that!;)

landhoney said:
"In the early 1970's, National introduced Malt Duck, a mixture of concord grape juice and either National beer or Colt 45. (The ingredient list on the label simply metioned beer and grape juice.)"

I hope its a little better than that!;)
Well I hope so too. :mug:

My memory was from some 30 years ago and I'm thinking my beer pallet wasn't all that sophisticated back then. (Not that it is now)

Back