Brewing Day Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
Ok, so today i brew up a 25 lb AG Russian Imperial Stout. My first RIS ever...
Everything goes fine, i pitch the yeast, and I stick the airlock in, and BOOM...the carboy falls through the lid on my plastic bin that had been holding it, shatters,,,glass and wort all over my laundry room, blood flowing down my arm....#@!(&)(%&)(%&_)#%!!..
One carboy shot, $35 worth of ingrediants and 6 hours down the tubes....
talk about a bad day and feeling like never brewing again.:(

Ouch man, that sux. Are those Better Bottles sounding attractive, yet? I love mine!

Fingers said:
That doesn't sound good. You'll need that arm to brew another RIS. Nothing too serious?

No, just a little glass in my finger, no biggie..it was losing the wort that sucked. It was seriously the best tasting wort i have ever made!

And yes RadicalEd..i just ordered a Better Bottle. As depressed as I am, i gotta get back on the horse next weekend. THE RIS was so much work though (25 lbs of grain), i am gonna go for brewing a Pilsner Urquell clone. Time to try my first lager i think, now the the garage is nice and cold!

I had something very similar happen to me a few yers ago. But it wasn't the wort that was in the carboy, it was just the sanitizer. Ended up calling it "Shatter Glass Brown Ale"

Glad you OK.

Quickly, use your auto siphon as in IV and do a RIS transfussion to your arm!!!

Glad you're ok and sorry about the carboy/brew

Man, that sucks. One to offer up to the gods of homebrew, I guess. Sorry to hear about the hassle, but good luck on getting back on the horse :mug:

a moment of silence for your lost RIS.............................

Now get back out there and brew it again!

You’ve suffered enough so I’ll spare you the “what the hell were you thinking” lecture.

On the upside, you won’t have to buy dryer sheets…nothing says “morning fresh” like the smell of Russian Imperial Stout in your underwear.

BierMuncher said:
On the upside, you won’t have to buy dryer sheets…nothing says “morning fresh” like the smell of Russian Imperial Stout in your underwear.

The odds are PRETTY GOOD that that pair of underwear will need to be replaced... ;)

Back