Austin homebrew supply ABV Boost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're fine to go with just the kit. If you're looking to do an etoh boost, you're prob better off picking up a few lbs of dextrose from them. It's always good to have extra on hand for priming ... and throwing together extra batches of apfelwein :D

I've only added yeast nutrient to my ciders and wines. I haven't had a problem leaving it out of my beers.

chione said:
If wanted the effect but didn't want to pay for it what should I do?
Do you really think that $1.99 is an exorbitant price? You get close to a pound of maltose+dextrose, IIRC, and at that price it seems cheaper than buying extra extract and corn sugar.

If you want to be a cheapskate and don't care about how your beer tastes, throw in table sugar, and it'll probably wind up tasting like cider.

The cheapest option of all is to simply use the kit the way it is and stop focusing on ABV - this is my recommendation.

As some others have implied, you could in theory up the ABV by adding in extra dextrose. HOWEVER, as I learned from a similar post, you will give your beer a cidery and extra dry flavor in the process. The alcohol boost provided by AHS is apparently more than just dextrose so if you go with their option you'll avoid these flavors.

deharris said:
As some others have implied, you could in theory up the ABV by adding in extra dextrose. HOWEVER, as I learned from a similar post, you will give your beer a cidery and extra dry flavor in the process. The alcohol boost provided by AHS is apparently more than just dextrose so if you go with their option you'll avoid these flavors.

Adding dextrose can have effect the body and flavor...to what degree depends on a number of factors including the quantity used. You have to roll a fairly high quantity to get into cidery territory in most cases.

Funkenjaeger said:
Do you really think that $1.99 is an exorbitant price? You get close to a pound of maltose+dextrose, IIRC, and at that price it seems cheaper than buying extra extract and corn sugar.

If you want to be a cheapskate and don't care about how your beer tastes, throw in table sugar, and it'll probably wind up tasting like cider.

The cheapest option of all is to simply use the kit the way it is and stop focusing on ABV - this is my recommendation.

No if I was a cheap ass I would be making this http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ridiculously-Cheap-Cool-Aid-Wine

It depends on exactly what you mean by "Forrest".

OP - I've never ordered the boost. I just brew 'as-is'. I figure, if I'm trying to clone a beer, I should stick with the recipe.

Dude said:
I'm SO glad we have another thread on this.

So am I.

My real name is Forrest.

The alcohol boost is the cheapest way to add alcohol without adding flavor.
You can use dextrose (corn sugar) and it will work fine. It will just cost more to acheive the same amount of alcohol. The product is not for everyone. Buy it if you want to add to your alcohol percent.

The Yeast fuel is not absolutely needed but if you want a healthier, quicker, cleaner tasting beer you can use it. It is a yeast nutrient that works really well.
The product is not for everyone. It sure helps when you want to get some beer in the keg. It has been known to take a couple days off of the fermentation time.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
So am I.

My real name is Forrest.

The alcohol boost is the cheapest way to add alcohol without adding flavor.
You can use dextrose (corn sugar) and it will work fine. It will just cost more to acheive the same amount of alcohol. The product is not for everyone. Buy it if you want to add to your alcohol percent.

The Yeast fuel is not absolutely needed but if you want a healthier, quicker, cleaner tasting beer you can use it. It is a yeast nutrient that works really well.
The product is not for everyone. It sure helps when you want to get some beer in the keg. It has been known to take a couple days off of the fermentation time.

Forrest

So it is more than just dextrose. My rational is the stronger the beer the less of it you need...
BTW I just put an order to your company. After wasting time looking at all the other sites I figure you come on here and help so I should support that

thanks

chione said:
So it is more than just dextrose. My rational is the stronger the beer the less of it you need...
BTW I just put to your company. After wasting time looking at all the other sites I figure you come on here and help so I should support that

thanks

Thanks for that. I am here for you guys. Anything you need, or any questions, let me know.

Forrest

I've gone about half and half using the Brewvint with my AHS kits. It provides noticeably more aggressive fermentations.

Without:
bloop .......... bloop ......... bloop

With:
blip ... blip ... blip ... blip ... blip

Seems to take about a day off the time. The only downside is I have to be a bit more careful about monitoring the temperature with my ice bottle cooler thing.

Notes:

1 - No, I've never taken day-by-day hydrometer readings. I'm not that cocky about my sanitation practices.

2 - Because sometimes I forget to put it in.

On my first order, I got both boosters. Why? I dunno... figured I needed all the help I could get.

Been successfully using a "Mr. Beer" since Christmas... upgrading process starts when my kit & mix arrives on Tuesday. Wish me luck.

I have use this product and for sure you can not taste it but I did not get a 1% boost more like .75% but . . who cares. I wanted to try it.

On a side note it seems that most kits with extract could use this to help with the inefficiency of the extracts. I know many of my kits fro AHS do not get down to the foretasted FG and I use a starter so I do not think it's me!

I used the boost for the first five batches from Austin and it noticeably was a bit higher, and in a few cases I think compromised the taste. I have two batches (a lager and hefe) I brewed w/o it and will compare. But the Hoegaarden clone was STRONG.

I am not going to use it again.

~Diz

I only want my beers to be the way they are supposed to be. I want to drink and taste my beers for as long as I can and not kiss the floor before I need to.

Back