I'm New

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blender

Reaction score
Hi All
I just found this place and signed up. My wife (bless her soul) got me a beginner kit for Christmas and off we go to try homebrew. The kit was purchased locally and came with a Coopers Pale Ale syrup. I suppose that is the easiest thing to try the first time out but I plan to try different techniques with some additional experience. Well off to some more reading.

Welcome to the wonderful world of confrentation, I mean fermentation!:D

It's great that you are already doing research on the subject.

We're certain you're going to ask something that's already been asked, but ask anyway. Some of us may be free enough to provide you with a long reply and some of us may not have time, but will lead you to a site (I know I'm guilty of this at times) so you can continue to learn.

Then there's the debates and arguments...most of them are fun to read and join in. While others will just throw some smart a$$ comment in there (guilty again) to try to fan or dowse the fire.

Welcome aboard Blender! HB99 is spot on of course - this is a great site and you'll find help either asking on the forum or using the search. Be aware though that HB's idea of 'dowsing a fire' usually means pouring more petrol on the flames!:D

Welcome to the boards, Blender.

Use the search feature, browse around, and ask any questions you might have. We do tend to go over some of the same questions on a frequent basis, but don't be afraid to ask if you're having trouble finding the answers you're looking for.

glad you found us blender and God bless your wife! she's a good woman to buy you a homebrew kit for Christmas. :~)

keep us posted on the 1st brew and feel free to ask questions, question questions, and make comments. we're all ears!

Blender said:
Hi All
I just found this place and signed up. My wife (bless her soul) got me a beginner kit for Christmas and off we go to try homebrew. The kit was purchased locally and came with a Coopers Pale Ale syrup. I suppose that is the easiest thing to try the first time out but I plan to try different techniques with some additional experience. Well off to some more reading.

I think I made about the exact same post one year ago. :D

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I got interested in brewing after an episode of Good Eats. Alton Brown made it look so easy.:)
The kit did not come with a hydrometer. Is this pretty neccessary in my case? I will probably get one at some point. I made the brew last Tuesday and it is in a plastic bucket with a spout and is fermenting away with bubbles through the airlock about every 5-10 seconds. My plan is to transfer it to the glass carboy Saturday and then let it sit for roughly 6-8 days. I am debating on whether to purchase bottles or hit the local resturants for the used ones. I would like to use 16 0z. bottles so I may go with the purchased ones. Any thoughts on used ones? The hardest part seems to be the waiting.

Hydrometers are very useful & some people brew for years without them. Used bottles are fine. Even if you buy new ones, they'll be used soon.

The only solution to waiting is to keep the batches coming.

Back