Jolly Pumpkim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything from JP is awesome. At the Michigan Summer Beer Fest I had a single barrel La Roja that is in my top 5 beers of all time.

I misjudged them at first. I thought all their beers we're going to be really sour and they're not. Also, I had them at the brewery and I guess they were still 'green' because I bought a bunch and a few weeks/months later they were much better. Case in point was their Rioja Reserve, which is unblended Rioja. At the brewery it was uncarbed and had a HUGE bourbon character from the bourbon barrels they use. I opened another bottle a couple weeks ago and it had a nice low carb level and the bourbon had mellowed considerably while the sourness had increased. It really reminded me of homebrew....just needs a few weeks to condition.

I have sampled the Madrugada Obscura & Bam Biere. Both were very tasty and unique brews. My local bottle shop has been stocking more of their produce lately and I am going to definitely work my way through the line up available. Ron Jeffries posts over on probrewer quite a bit and has some rather informative posts.

JP is becoming one of my favorites. I've purchased:

Oro de Calabaza
La Roja
Bam Bière
Bam Noire

Plan on taking a drive over to Dexter before Christmas. I would encourage all to give this beer a try....

Beerday2a.jpg

Noel de Calabaza, Blend 5

Ruby/Cranberry body with zero foam

Nose is sharp, funky & musty with a distinct "goaty" influence

Flavor is granny smith apples up front, very dry with a light carb. Tart becomes faintly sweet and spicy that yields to a musty/dusty with some oak, red wine and light peppery notes in the finish. As it warms and you pour though the bottle, the sharpness mellows and the musty/oaky notes become stronger with the spice in the finish. Does not have the depth that previous JP offerings exhibited but very tasty and satisfying.

Back