First AG recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
This is the first recipe I've tried to make from scratch. I am planning on brewing this as soon as I finish out this semester. I was just wondering if you could give me your feedback. I have tried to formulate an extract recipe from scratch a while back, but it didn't turn out so well. Thanks.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Waw's Honey Scotch Ale
Brewer: Justin Wawrzonek
Asst Brewer:
Style: Scottish Export Ale (80/-)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 18.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.7 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
1.00 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 174.2 F 158.0 F 45 min

Notes:
------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pretty close to what I would put together. I would drop the honey malt down to .25 pound. I would also up the crystal to .75. Honey malt is potent stuff maybe .5 pound max in a recipe.

I agree. I've never used honey malt, but I've heard plenty about how powerful it is. I'd even go so far as to bump the crystal up to a full pound. I know it's not the best thing for a Scottish, but it's tasty.

TL

Cool, I shall do that. I had no clue that honey malt was very potent. I'm glad I asked. Thanks again.

I'd also swap out the US 2-row if you're trying to make a scotch ale. Use golden promise or maris otter instead, they have a more appropriate range of flavors and aromas.

While that's true to a certain extent, with the amount of specialty grains specified the flavor of the base malt is going to be completely lost, so why bother? There's no way you're going to taste or smell anything from the base malt.

I like the recipe as I see it this morning. Good luck with it!

Bob

I disagree entirely, I think the base malt always makes a difference. He could at least use a UK 2-row to be true to the fact that it's a SCOTTISH ale.

Back