Vanilla marked up 200%?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Relating to my earlier post about where to find vanilla...

I was driving by a newly constructed Food Lion and decided to try and find vanilla. As usual, I see the 2 oz bottle going for $7.29, so $3.65 per oz.

I then keep looking, and lo I find a giant 8oz bottle of the same brand going for $14.99, or $1.87 per oz.! :confused: That's a twofold increase in unit price for the small bottle.

Grrr...but I'm glad I found it! :rockin:

Seems to be a pretty common pricing structure with lots of small items like spices or cleaners. Try pricing idophor at 4oz and 1qt quantities.

If you use it alot it makes sense to buy the big bottle. But for occasional use its way too much so you get raked on the small bottle.

Craig

Big bottles of vanilla extract are priced to be competitive with Mad Dog and Night train.:drunk:

The one time I was in the corner liquor store in Sunnyvale, I saw quart jars of vanillin. Since they weren't officially booze (at 28% ABV), they enjoyed quite an edge in pricing.

the_bird said:
I'm still worried you're going to brew that beer and decide that TWO ounces was too much... :D

Haha. Well, I will add it in tiny increments to make you feel better :) I love me some vanilla tho...Nothing better than a good, still warm, homemade arroz con leche. MmmmmMMMM!

You just have to look hard for vanilla in big bottles at reasonable prices. Up here it's like $10/oz for vanilla (Canada). But Costco has 16oz bottles of madagascar bourbon vanilla for $7! And it's top notch stuff besides.

rocketman768 said:
Haha. Well, I will add it in tiny increments to make you feel better :) I love me some vanilla tho...Nothing better than a good, still warm, homemade arroz con leche. MmmmmMMMM!

4oz makes it taste like beer and cream soda mixed... the first sip is good but i need a cracker or something between sips or it just tastes weird...

the_bird said:
I'm still worried you're going to brew that beer and decide that TWO ounces was too much... :D

What would happen if you added Dr. Magillicuttys Vanilla Schnapps at bottling? That way you could taste it and be sure you're not over doing it...and it'll give you a cost effective boost.

Back