West Coast Haul Part 2 w/ Extras

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Combined efforts of a friends Fresno work trip and my recent bottle shop visit:

Not pictured and already consumed:

ten_fidy.jpg

The Dieu Du Ciel, Oskar Blues & Hopsickle came from the local bottle shop - Capone's for you Phily metro folks.

Ten Fidy was cracked the other day and I was kinda surprised to find that it was rather restrained and balanced (I expected a bit more over the top..dunno why). The relation to Old Chub was immediately noticeable. Aromas of burnt sugar, espresso and coca. The flavor was nice and malty with a touch of vanilla, cocoa and a light roast character. Nice hop bitterness tucked in near the back that finishes with an espresso & bittersweet chocolate note that was faintly smoky. Overall a very drinkable impy but considering the price difference, the Chub would be my pick between the two.

I will be curious to see what you think of the Moylander. I love hop bombs and have had many (if you ever see the Dorado DIPA from Ballast Point, it is one of my faves)
but the Moylander was the first time in memory that a beer was just too bitter for me. Mind you, I drank the whole 22oz. :D

Germey said:
I will be curious to see what you think of the Moylander. I love hop bombs and have had many (if you ever see the Dorado DIPA from Ballast Point, it is one of my faves)
but the Moylander was the first time in memory that a beer was just too bitter for me. Mind you, I drank the whole 22oz. :D

Well, we already drained the Hopsickle; retardedly bitter and hoppy . Two of the three tasters last night thought it was unpleasantly hoppy & undrinkable.

Pours a hazy orange with a white bubbly head. Huge citrus, piney and resinous hops mingled with booze in the nose. The aroma was a tad bit intoxicating in it's own way.
Flavor: At first sample you're just overwhelmed by bitterness and rough hop flavors and a warm alcohol in the finish. Citrusy, resinous and woody hops all over the flavor. As you acclimate to it, the malt starts to peek out with a caramel and light bready quality. Returning to the glass after an extended time, it's hops all over.
Moutfeel/Palate: Moderately carbonated with a medium/medium-full mouthfeel. Not as thick and viscous and many imperial IPAs.
Overall: I have somewhat mixed feelings about this one. It's pretty much one dimensional but that's by design. If you want the crazy hot sauce equal in hops, look no further.

brewt00l said:
Well, we already drained the Hopsickle; retardedly bitter and hoppy . Two of the three tasters last night thought it was unpleasantly hoppy & undrinkable.

Pours a hazy orange with a white bubbly head. Huge citrus, piney and resinous hops mingled with booze in the nose. The aroma was a tad bit intoxicating in it's own way.
Flavor: At first sample you're just overwhelmed by bitterness and rough hop flavors and a warm alcohol in the finish. Citrusy, resinous and woody hops all over the flavor. As you acclimate to it, the malt starts to peek out with a caramel and light bready quality. Returning to the glass after an extended time, it's hops all over.
Moutfeel/Palate: Moderately carbonated with a medium/medium-full mouthfeel. Not as thick and viscous and many imperial IPAs.
Overall: I have somewhat mixed feelings about this one. It's pretty much one dimensional but that's by design. If you want the crazy hot sauce equal in hops, look no further.

i'd have to agree.

I've told me buddies that with this beer, i think i woke up the next morning still tasting the hops from this beer.

Marin Point Reyes Porter

Commercial Desc: Like the old Porters of Ireland, our Porter is super rich and velvety. It is deep brown in color, with richly roasted and chocolately flavors. Like all Marin Brewing Co. ales, this contains no preservatives is not heat-pasturized. (Brewed by Brendan Moylan)

A&A: Pours a deep brown with a light brown fluffy head. Aroma is some what faint scents of milk chocolate, light coffee/roast and sweet malt.
Flavor: Fairly sweet and malty with moderate chocolate, coffee/roasted flavors. Well balanced bitterness, softly hopped. Nice mellow molasses flavor in the sweet long finish.
M/P: Moderate mouthfeel and moderately carbonated
Overall: Tasty..very nice middle of the road porter that offers plenty of flavor and character with out too much sweetness, roast or chocolate.

Dieu Du Ciel Route des Épices

A/A: poured a clear deep copper/dark amber color with a light head. Spicy aroma of dry black pepper, light spicy hops and some earthy doughy malt. The pepper in the aroma is your first clue that this isn't your ordinary brew.
Flavor: The initial flavor exhibits the dry rye spiciness you would expect from a rye based beer but then you get unique black pepper flavors. Very distinct dry peppercorn spice and light mustyness with a touch of malt and doughy yeast mixed in. Finishes dry with the pepper notes dominant in the back of your throat.
M/P: Moderate-moderately thin mouthfeel with a moderately high level of carbonation.
Overall: Very unique flavor profile that is initially puzzling yet very inviting. The creativity and unusual approach really reminded me of a homebrew (not to say it was out in left field as say Midas Touch). I was rather disappointed when I took the last sip from the glass...

Latest posts

Back