Schwarzweiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Schwarzweiss, a black wheat beer is now on tap at Papago brewing in the PHX area:

http://papagobrewing.com/tap.html

Ron Kloth of Papago brewing brought some to the HB club meeting and we sampled.

It obviously looks dark. The roastyness masks alot of the weiss phenolics.
Yet it is light and refreshing.

Anyone have the pleasure?

It sounds very interesting. I was thinking of doing schwarzbier this year, maybe I'll create a 'schwarzweiss' to do along with it and compare them side by side.

I had planned on a bit over 50% Munich and about 35% pils as a base, I could just swap out the pils for wheat.

Did it have any of the weiss/weizen clove/banana yeast traits or would you guess that they used a more neutral strain? I'd be interested to know if they used a lager strain.

Is Papago's worth stopping at? I am going to AZ for a wedding in 2 weeks. We are flying into Tucson, and heading south for the wedding, but then heading up to the Grand Canyon for a few days, and this looks like it is on the way.

Cool. I give it a stop then. (I am actually going to Capone's tonight:p)

Back on topic, I freaking love Schwartzbiers, so this brew really peaks my interest.

was there last weekend and ordered two of those actually.

Our all knowing waitress described it to us as "Like licking a wet cigarette but out of a toilet" word-for-word....swear. Needless to say we didnt ask her what she thought of anything else that night. But we all thought it was a really great beer, and Ill be trying one myself soon.

Back