Texas Heat Summer Ale (recipe critic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
So I picked up the magazine "All About Beer" the other day from the grocery store. It had an article by Randy Mosher about homebrewing in the summer and a few recipe ideas....one of which was a "pilsale" (fermenting a pilsner w/ale yeast) and he suggested using 30% wheat malt, and shooting for 15-20 IBUs.

I don't have any pils malt so here's what I came up with. THANKS!!

Grain
5lb 2row
2lb Wheat Malt

Hops
1oz Hallertauer (60min)
.5oz Hallertauer(15min)

Ferment cold w/ Kolsch or other clean ale yeast

OG 1.037
IBU 18

Mash 148-150 (I dunno what do you think??)

Looks very similar to my Kolsch (I used pils and threw in some Vienna).

I mashed at 149F and it came out very nice.

Looks like a good summer beer.

Sweet deal, I think I might actually do a 10gal batch of this next time I can brew....plus I can use the yeast cake for the 999 if I use Cali yeast :D

Go for it niquejim!

I have been doing something very similar for the summer:

6lbs 2 row
3lbs white rice
0.5lbs wheat
0.5lbs Munich malt

Sterling and Willamette hops for 20IBU's - 60min boil
Ferment with Kolsch yeast.

SWMBO and other BMC drinkers have been slamming this back, and I must admit it goes down quite well while sitting on the porch enjoying a nice Texas sunset :)

That actually looks REALLY good deathweed. What's the OG & SRM on that??

Thats a lot of rice no? Do you do a cereal mash or anything? Ricehulls?

That actually looks REALLY good deathweed. What's the OG & SRM on that??

Thats a lot of rice no? Do you do a cereal mash or anything? Ricehulls?

Sorry, internet has been funky the last few days, but to answer your questions:

SRM is 4.8 and OG is ~1.048.

As far as the rice, it is a bit(~33% or so) but the flavor comes out dry, thin, and well, just plain chuggable for those hot evenings when you want something cold and smooth. I started by boiling the rice for ~30min to ensure the starches were thoroughly gelatinized, and used the heat from the hot rice to bring my mash to a gum rest at 105F for 15 minutes or so. From there I step mashed for 20min@128, 90min@150 (for a thin,dry body) and mashed out at 168. I did not use any rice hulls, but they wouldn't hurt if you decide to use them. I just went with a nice slow sparge and got what I wanted.

I will be doing another batch of this this weekend, and may up to a 90 minute boil after reading about Biermunchers success with longer boils and "crisper" beers. This is certainly an all day process with the long mash and long boil, so I plan on doing this with friends around and plenty of beer so I can just sit and forget through the steps of this one :D

Sorry, internet has been funky the last few days, but to answer your questions:

SRM is 4.8 and OG is ~1.048.

As far as the rice, it is a bit(~33% or so) but the flavor comes out dry, thin, and well, just plain chuggable for those hot evenings when you want something cold and smooth. I started by boiling the rice for ~30min to ensure the starches were thoroughly gelatinized, and used the heat from the hot rice to bring my mash to a gum rest at 105F for 15 minutes or so. From there I step mashed for 20min@128, 90min@150 (for a thin,dry body) and mashed out at 168. I did not use any rice hulls, but they wouldn't hurt if you decide to use them. I just went with a nice slow sparge and got what I wanted.

I will be doing another batch of this this weekend, and may up to a 90 minute boil after reading about Biermunchers success with longer boils and "crisper" beers. This is certainly an all day process with the long mash and long boil, so I plan on doing this with friends around and plenty of beer so I can just sit and forget through the steps of this one :D

If you use minute rice you can save a step, as it is already gelatanized

Back