What Starter Container Do You Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postman

Reaction score
Brewers,

As I've matured as a brewer, I'm at the point of beginning to yeast starters. I've read and read all there is online, in Palmer's Book and on Jamil's page. My only question left is what to use as my starter container? So what do you all use? Is it worth it to buy a 2L flask or should I go with a 1 gal wine jug for example? Thanks!

ps - my hops fresh cones are getting bigger!

I use a growler as well. Used to have a big gallon wine jug around, as well. Flasks are really nice if you're using a stirplate, but alas, I don't own one yet.

I use growlers for most starters, but I also have a 1 gallon jug that I use for larger starters.

I use a 1 gallon jug left over from some apple cider. I don't use a stir plate, I just give the jug a swirl when I pass by it. No problems yet.

I also use the growlers and the wine jug, but large mason jars work also.

I use a 1 Liter Erlenmeyer flask, then step up to a 2 Liter flask before pitching.

When propagating yeast, I'll step up to a 3 Liter flask, then a 1 gallon jug.

So just from the early reply, it almost sounds like it is better to spend my money on some wine than the expensive flask. That's a win for the wallet and my wife will enjoy the wine! Sweet.

So just from the early reply, it almost sounds like it is better to spend my money on some wine than the expensive flask. That's a win for the wallet and my wife will enjoy the wine! Sweet.
It depends what you want. A 2L flask on a stirplate will actually produce more yeast than a 1 gal wine jug without stirring. The vessel itself isn't as important as the technique (although some vessels are better suited to some techniques). :mug:

Just for some clarification, I do not intend on using a stir plate if I went via flask. So it would be a purchase of flask vs. something else. Really, is a plastic soda bottle an option?

I went the flask route because it was so much easier to boil the wort in the same container that I am adding the yeast so I don't have to transfer from a pot to a different container.

I just put the flask over the flame on the stove, boil the wort, remove/cover/cool, add yeast.

I use Mason jar quite often for making starters and storing yeast after cleaning.

+1 :D

Boiling in the flask makes it a "one pot meal" if you will but getting the DME disolved kinda sucks sometimes....

I found its the steam from the hot water when you add the DME it cakes up around the lid or sides.

I put the DME in first..dry, then add water..shake and then boil. I know it isnt the 'prescribed' method. But it hasnt appeared to effect my starters and has significantly reduced or eliminated any mess.

hmm...I fill my flask, add the DME, stir the crap out of it, then boil.

I'll try your way next time though :D

2L flask and stirplate. I make starter wort 1 gallon at a time and store it in sanitized apple juice bottle with foil over the cap in the fridge. to use, remove the foil, spritz cap and hands with starsan pour into sanitized flask oxygenate and crimp sanitized foil over top. 4 and 8 hours later clean blow off off stirplate and counter. I'm still trying to figure out the heavy blow off. place flask in fridge until ready for use.

I made my first starter and used 1 gallon plastic water jugs, the same as what milk comes in. Only drawback was you couldn't see in real good, good enough to know there was krausen and see the yeast on the bottom but it worked just fine.

i've always split it up into 2 regular sized wine bottles.

i've kept a couple of bottles that are pretty flat-bottomed for this purpose... has always worked very well!

Alright I just want to ask some advice. I have a stir plate, a 1L flask and a 1/2 gallon growler. I make 5 gallon batches. Should I just use the 1L for the starter and save the 1/2 gallon growler for when I do 10 gallon batches or should I start with the 1L then step it up to the 1/2 gallon growler to make a 2L starter?

since I only have one flask(2L) I make a starter and 24 hours later into the fridge it goes to help settle the yeast. then pour off the beer and add more wort(from the fridge, I dont want to shock it) place it on the stirplate and let it go. by the next 24 hours the yeast has visibly increased in volume, not including what krausens onto the counter. then I'm ready to pitch. unless you are making a very big beer 1L should be plenty for a 5G batch.

I've been thinking about useing it but only bc I have a big ol' bag from when I was a noob....for some reason I thought I should buy it.

I figure I might start using it only to get rid of it...

Back