Barley-rye-n

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s3n8

Reaction score
Hey All, brewed this today. Big beers take longer, was a 6.5 hour day from setup to flopping on the couch. I am wooped. I took some pointers from Brewpastors water into Barleywine, and a few other recipes. what do you folks think? I missed my target by a few points because I thought the final sparge was done, but turns out it was just stuck. Planned on a little longer boil, but got it done in 75 minutes.

Barleyryen
Brew Type: All Grain
Date: 8/9/2008
Style: American Barleywine
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.5 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Actual Efficiency: 77.4 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.2 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 11.7 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.8 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 38.1 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (60 min) Hops 34.6 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (30 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30%] (20 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30%] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.0 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.4 %
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.091 SG (1.080-1.125 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.096 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.021 SG (1.020-1.035 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 SRM (10.0-22.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 101.6 IBU (50.0-100.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 6.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 9.2 % (8.0-13.0 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 11.2 %
Actual Calories: 465 cal/pint

I'm a bit new at dechiphering recipes and it looks like you modified the recipe to fit what you brewed. You were over on your OG. I would guess that you reduced your boil time to account for missed preboil volume. Being as you brewed this today you couldn't have a FG yet so don't worry about that until you actually measure it. I'm guessing you were going for a boil of 90 or 120 min. It looks like you got the necessary sugars needed to hit your FG. I think you will be ok. 6.5 hours? I hope my 9-9-09 barleywine only takes that long. if your still not sure you can ship me a bottle this winter.:D

Yeah, I had planned on 8 gallons for a 90 minute boil. Ended up with 7.5, so did 75. Ended up with the right volume, but just a few points low.

Its a cut & paste from beersmith, and it populates things like FG. Its just a placeholder.

I pitched this on a cake of Nottingham from a 1.085 IPA I brewed 2 weeks ago. I expected it to take right off, but last I checked, nothing yet. Blowoff tube is rigged and ready though.

Well, it took off the next morning. It is in a cooler with ice packs, thermometer on the carboy says 64, and the temp of the water in the cooler is 60, and its trying to blow off. I usually try to have quite a bit of headspace, and this is the first to get the blowoff tube dirty since I have been fermenting at cooler temps with the cooler/icepack routine.

I'm not sure I get the dextrose plus dextrin malt. Seems like you're adding body with the cara-pils, only to thin it right out again with all that corn sugar! Is there a reason I'm missing?

I'm not sure I get the dextrose plus dextrin malt. Seems like you're adding body with the cara-pils, only to thin it right out again with all that corn sugar! Is there a reason I'm missing?

Well, all of the commercial barleywines have been a little syrupy and sweet for my liking. I read in a book (maybe designing great beers, extreme brewing, or one of the others, I have been through several in the last 8 months) that to keep higher gravity brews from becoming too heavy, add a little corn/cane/candy sugar which is near 100% fermentable. Adds a little alcohol bite, and yes, thins it out a little. I was hoping for a dryer finish than something like Dominion Millennium brew (aka 'tussin).

I had .5 lb of carapils laying around, so I figured it couldnt hurt. I like the head retention and body it gives in my IPAs I have done with it.

Its a bit of a franken-recipe taking parts from several beers I have made that I liked, and amped up a bit. Could also be that this is only the 4th recipe of my own formulation and I don't know WTF I'm doing :D

The FWH IBU's from Beersmith are gonna be wrong. FWHing does not bitter at all IMO. I have read recently to treat it in Beersmith as a 20min addition in regards to IBU's. It is supposed to enhance the hop flavor, but it smooths the bitterness out tremendously.

The FWH IBU's from Beersmith are gonna be wrong. FWHing does not bitter at all IMO. I have read recently to treat it in Beersmith as a 20min addition in regards to IBU's. It is supposed to enhance the hop flavor, but it smooths the bitterness out tremendously.

Hmm, I have heard that is less than 60... But I thought it was closer to 60 than 20 based on what I have read.

I plan on letting this one go for 4 weeks in the primary, and if it seems too syrupy I may make some hop tea. I also ended up boiling for 75 minutes with the FWH and the 60 minute addition, the rest of the hops were at the correct time. Maybe it will turn out ok :) I have high hopes. The hydrometer sample tasted adequately (aggressively) hoppy :D

Whoah. I noticed the krausen had completely fallen overnight, so I let curiosity get the best of me and checked the gravity on this brew just now to see if there was any rousing/rocking/temp adjustments needed.

OG - 1.096 on 8/9
SG - 1.014 on 8/14

Holy crap. :rockin:

Can I get a F-yeah heyhey for Nottingham.

Hydrometer sample is still quite yeasty and bready, so I put it in the fridge to try tonight. The sip I had was quite warming and apparent right after lunch :drunk:

back to work.

Back