keg parts - how to identify in/out disconnect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought 10 ball lock disconnects for corny kegs from a friend who is no more HB, brought them home and now I realize that I don't know which ones are for air (in) and which are for liquid (out). Is there a way to tell which is which?
Thanks.

Looking just below the o-ring, you will notice it flares out a bit on both. But, side-by-side, you will notice that one's flare is about 2x that of the other. The SHORTER (or less flared) flared fitting is your Gas-IN fitting...
the LONGER flared fitting is Beer-OUT...

Try this little "simple" saying but works.
GAS is a shorter word, and the Flaring is also Shorter
BEER is a LONGER Word and the Flaring is longer....

Good luck,
Wild

You can also check with the pictures at morebeer.com

There are notches in the 8-sided bottom of the connector for Gas-In. I had the same problem this weekend when I cleaned some kegs ;)

Kai

I had a keg where the posts were the same, so when I took it apart and cleaned it, I made sure to label it for future reference. Just look inside the keg and look for the long dip tube, that is "bev out". I just put an O in perm marker on the outside of the keg post. Same for the "gas in" post, which should be a short dip tube.

calman said:
Hello,
I just bought 10 ball lock disconnects for corny kegs from a friend who is no more HB, brought them home and now I realize that I don't know which ones are for air (in) and which are for liquid (out). Is there a way to tell which is which?
Thanks.
I didn't realize that it was just the diconnects. Grey for Gas - IN and Black for Beer OUT.

Good luck,
Wild

wild said:
I didn't realize that it was just the diconnects. Grey for Gas - IN and Black for Beer OUT.

Good luck,
Wild
Great! Thank you all.
I actually bought those handsome looking kegs as well so the above helps, Wild.

Back