3 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Does any one use the 3 gallon kegs? I was thinking of getting one, and figured it would be the best of both worlds insofar as i could keg AND bottle the same batch. The small size will easily fit in my small fridge, and it would be easy to transport as well. Lastly, i could always and probably will get a 5 gallon as well.
Anyone have any relevant caveats?

Bjorn Borg said:
Does any one use the 3 gallon kegs?
I have two of them. As you mentioned, I keg three gallons and bottle the rest to age. I also have a keggerator (chest freezer) which holds 4 5-gallon kegs and my 3-gallon keg with the CO2 on the little shelf. This works great for the big beers. And next I'm getting a used 10-gallon round cooler. They fit perfect in there with ice. Just drill two holes, one for the tap and the other for a CO2 injector. Put it on a luggage hauler and you have and instant party keg.

Wild

I have 2 and love them, just wish they weren't so darn expensive. I would almost go with nothing but 3's if I could.

I'm giving serious consideration to finding out what it would cost to get some five gallon kegs shortened. I figure I can strip the keg, then have someone take 8-10 inches out of the middle and re-weld. I know it takes special equipment, but that's what welding shops are for. It's got to be cheaper than the $100 dollar difference between new 3 gallon kegs and used 5's.

glibbidy said:
I have three gallon pin lock keg, that I'm trying to figure out how to convert to ball lock. It would be the perfect volume to take to a party, or a trip to tuckermans.

I have read that this cannot be done. :( It was in an ad for one type or other of the kegs. I asked the guy at the LHBS about it and he concurred. If you can figure out a way to do it, post it- I'm sure people would love to know how to do it.

wild said:
I have two of them. As you mentioned, I keg three gallons and bottle the rest to age. I also have a keggerator (chest freezer) which holds 4 5-gallon kegs and my 3-gallon keg with the CO2 on the little shelf. This works great for the big beers. And next I'm getting a used 10-gallon round cooler. They fit perfect in there with ice. Just drill two holes, one for the tap and the other for a CO2 injector. Put it on a luggage hauler and you have and instant party keg.

Wild

Keep checking ebay. I got mine there new for $33 plus shipping. I use it for my MLT, though, so I'm not about to go drilling holes in it.:)

ablrbrau said:
Keep checking ebay. I got mine there new for $33 plus shipping. I use it for my MLT, though, so I'm not about to go drilling holes in it.:)

$33 for a new 3 gallon?!?!?! WOW...I haven't seen one under $75 yet.

ablrbrau said:

Umm....are you talking about what we are talking about? 3 gal "corny" as a Mash/Lauter Tun
I just got a standard 15.5 keg and this i WILL be drilling holes in for an HLT.
Sounds like that is what you are describing. maybe.

difference in connector. pepsi is pin, coke is ball, i believe. you could use either, the connectors are generally teh same cost, just seems there are more ball-lock out there than pink lock.

Ahh--- no. the other way. Coke went with their pin lock system. Pepsi and other brands used ball lock.

Which is also why there are more ball lock--- becauyse pepsi, rc and other 'smaller' brands used the ball lock style, which resulted in a larger number of them being produced.

Pin locks are a pain! You have to push the connector down and rotate it to seal. I got "hosed" many times by pin lock kegs in college when I worked concerts, because the connector wouldn't seat.

david_42 said:
Pin locks are a pain! You have to push the connector down and rotate it to seal. I got "hosed" many times by pin lock kegs in college when I worked concerts, because the connector wouldn't seat.

i knew there was a catch! i can get a pin for like 35 bucks, a ball for 95...

Jester4176 said:
$33 for a new 3 gallon?!?!?! WOW...I haven't seen one under $75 yet.

Indiana Red said:
Umm....are you talking about what we are talking about? 3 gal "corny" as a Mash/Lauter Tun
I just got a standard 15.5 keg and this i WILL be drilling holes in for an HLT.
Sounds like that is what you are describing. maybe.

No, you misunderstood. He said he was looking for a ten gallon round cooler. That's what I was referring to. Sorry bout that.:(

Bjorn Borg said:
i knew there was a catch! i can get a pin for like 35 bucks, a ball for 95...

I already have some pin lock so it's no big deal to me, I'd take them for 35..I have an old BrewMeister kegerator that I am going to redo and a 5 will not fit if I could get my hands on some more 3's that would be awesome.

Back