1/3 of the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
At the risk of offending those who felt it necessary to close my previous thread, I felt it was worth mentioning that my 90 day "cupboard steak" has reached the 30 day mark today completely unchanged in any visible way. 2 of the three were failures, which I consider a tremendous success rate for a first try. I will be doing this again, but the steaks will go into the deep fryer briefly set at 375 (max) before being dropped into foodsaver bags full of starsan. The starsan will be dumped out, and the bag immediately put in the foodsaver. There is no way to ensure 100% kill 100% of the time short of a laboratory clean room environment. I will cut the sous vide time to 24 hours at 133F. The reason for the deep fryer instead of flame searing is penetration of the hot oil into the nooks and crannies, which I believe is the reason I had two fails.
I take issue with those who claim that botulism can grow and leave zero detectable signs whatsoever. This may be true in the short term, but this is the reason this test is stretched out to 90 days at an incubation temperature over 80F.

............... This is an informational thread as to my experiment and its progress. It's not intended as a forum for discussion of it's merits. We've had plenty too much of that already. I am NOT uninformed or ignorant, and telling me otherwise is completely unproductive. If you have suggestions as to how I can improve the process.......... other than resorting to pressure canning and other traditional methods, I'd like to hear them. I won't respond to people who have nothing constructive to offer. It's a waste of time to reiterate it all.

H.W.

I am curious as to the point of your ?experiment?

There are well known and proven methods of preserving foods that do a wonderful job of keeping people safe from harm. What is better about your method?

Also, if you were actually informed, you might consider that a few home experiments will prove absolutely nothing about whether your process is safe or not. Botulism is already a rare disease. You would need to be sure that your meat was absolutely infected before determining whether or not your process would make it safe. It may take lots of repeating the same experiment over and over before paralysis or death might happen.

Back