AG BIAB modificantion to existing recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBayBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all! Please check out my brewing schedule to make sure I have the proper steps to properly execute this brew. I know some of the detail seems infantile, but I have found I need this sort of structure in order to properly execute a recipe. Any constructive criticism/input is welcome.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
---------------------------
•Heat 3.5gal water to 166F.
•Put bag in later tun.
•Add grain to bag.
•Add 3.50 gal (14qt; 1.5qt/lb @ 9lbs. grain) of water at 165.9 F.
•Hold at 154.0 F 60 min.
•Heat 3gal water to 197F.
•Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F.
•Hold at 168.0 F 10 min.
•Remove bag & grain from tun. Let drain in bucket.
•Add hops & boil wort for 60 min.
•Add coriander seed & orange peel for last 5min.
•Cool to 70F.
•Transfer to primary through straining bag.
•Pitch yeast.
•Airlock and wait.

Are you sparging with those 3 gal of water? Personally that is too much. Typically for 9lbs of grain I will sparge with 2 gal of water at most. Remember BIAB is about a thin grist/water ratio.

mb82 said:
Are you sparging with those 3 gal of water? Personally that is too much. Typically for 9lbs of grain I will sparge with 2 gal of water at most. Remember BIAB is about a thin grist/water ratio.

I am not sparging with the 3 gal, just adding it to the tun and then letting it rest there for 10 min. after the initial 60 min rest. Rather than sparging, I'm going to remove the bag from the tun and just let it sit in a bucket and drain and then add that liquid back to the wort after a few minutes.

I suppose I could use 2 gal to sparge as you say and just start with 4.5 gal at mash-in rather than adding it after the initial 60 min hold.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the addition of the 3 gal of water is necessary after the 60 min at 154F. Is it a saccrification rest?

I am not sparging with the 3 gal, just adding it to the tun and then letting it rest there for 10 min. after the initial 60 min rest. Rather than sparging, I'm going to remove the bag from the tun and just let it sit in a bucket and drain and then add that liquid back to the wort after a few minutes.

I suppose I could use 2 gal to sparge as you say and just start with 4.5 gal at mash-in rather than adding it after the initial 60 min hold.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the addition of the 3 gal of water is necessary after the 60 min at 154F. Is it a saccrification rest?
Actually what you are doing is called a dunk sparge in the BIAB world. Yeah 4.5 gal Mash in if not more( take water away from the "sparge" if you do this. The 3 gal of water is to rinse sugars from the grains to up efficiency. Remember a nearly full pot( cooler whatever) will hold heat better then a 1/2 full one.

mb82 said:
Actually what you are doing is called a dunk sparge in the BIAB world. Yeah 4.5 gal Mash in if not more( take water away from the "sparge" if you do this. The 3 gal of water is to rinse sugars from the grains to up efficiency. Remember a nearly full pot( cooler whatever) will hold heat better then a 1/2 full one.

Okay. I understand the dunk sparge, but in the original recipe the instructions are to add 3 gal of H2O at 197F and let rest for 10min then boil wort. Why is this step necessary in the context of the original recipe?

This recipe looks to be converted to BIAB from one for a conventional mash tun. Instead of using the bag and a large quantity of water they are simply using the bag in place of a braid or false bottom. The 3 gallons at 197 is for a mashout. This step is more important with a braid or false bottom as it will take some time to drain the tun and while doing so the grain begins to cool which means that it will convert more short chain sugars. When the hotter water is added the enzymes are denatured and the sugar profile is locked.

When you have the bag you can lift it up and it drains in a couple minutes. Adding the hotter water still stops the conversion and helps to dissolve more sugars but probably isn't needed since you can quickly sparge the grains, pull the bag, and quickly bring the wort up to boil which stops conversion.

+1
you don't need the mashout with BIAB.
Mash at full volume if you have a big enough pot.
Pull the bag and squeeze.
Start your boil.
THEN add the first addition of hops.
5 gal batch? I loose less than 1 gallon to grains with that grain bill.

Back