Amino Acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
There was some discussion about additives to speed up fermentation, and amino acids were brought up. I have been researching amino acids in apple juice and their role in fermentation and ester production. Its pretty interesting stuff. Here is a link to an article that I read/skimmed yesterday. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jib.318
It's quite heady, so you might want to have a clear head when reading it. They used Gala apples and Fuji in their experiment.

Here are a few excerpts:
1) The amino acids added to the synthetic must isolate that produced the highest concentration of esters were aspartate, asparagine and glutamate.

2) The results indicate that supplementation of natural apple musts with two amino acids meets the need for nitrogen when it is deficient, thus avoiding interruption of fermentation and favouring the formation of volatiles with a fruity aroma, thereby presenting a proposed practice that is feasible for the cider processing industry.

3) The fermentation without supplementation of amino acids reached a total ester content of 420.54 mg/L (Table 5). In contrast, the fermentation supplemented with aspartate and glutamate reached an ester sum of 1673.77 mg/L. This quantity was four times higher than that obtained with the must that was free of additives.

In another article I read, different apples contain differing amounts of amino acids, and the content of such depends on a few factors such fertilization, soil, crop load and variety of apple. It appears that the same varietal grown in England will have different amounts of aminos than the same grown in the US. Then, the yeast plays a significant role insofar as how it uses the amino acids in ester production. Grapes are higher in aminos than apples, at least in the ones that the yeast use to create the fruity esters. So when using yeasts that were developed for wine making, we may not experience the same level of ester production in cider. At the end of the day, it really is all about the apples we use, and in close second, if not equally important, is the yeast we use.

Below is a table I downloaded awhile back showing amounts added to a must. I posted it here before (I think), but here it is again. Bringing the two bits of information about amino additions, it appears that BCAA plus glutamate, aspartate and asparagine might be fun to play around with in cider making. I also recall reading that arginine results in ester production as well.
Aminos.jpg

I ordered some aminos from buksupplements.com and received the aspartic acid on Saturday, the other two come this Friday. So, I added 6g of d-aspartic acid to 5 gallons of must on day two of primary; I am using Aurora Kveik in this ferment. The yeast went crazy! Had a geyser/gusher.

I'm going to finish this post later since I don't have access to a chart and possibly a link that I want to add to this post.

Next addition, take a bit out and mix your aminos into that, then pour it back. There is a thing called nucleation (sp?) Which is essentially poor dry anything into carbonated liquid and it gives the co2 too many surfaces to break loose on. Resulting in said geyser.

Next addition, take a bit out and mix your aminos into that, then pour it back. There is a thing called nucleation (sp?) Which is essentially poor dry anything into carbonated liquid and it gives the co2 too many surfaces to break loose on. Resulting in said geyser.
Spelling aside, I get what you are saying ;)
I did mix it with some of the fermenting juice, but less than 100ml. A liter or two would likely work. However, I'll be making amino additions up front prior to pitching next time. I wonder what the result will be?? To be honest. I'm looking forward to next harvest season, but it is fun messing around with things to see or taste what happens. If anything, i hope to come away with a greater understanding of what is beneath the surface of yeast life...

Back