Austin Homebrew ending free recipe shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycotte

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Loyal Austin Homebrew Customers,

This weekend is your last opportunity to take advantage of free shipping on all recipe kits from Austin Homebrew Supply.

When we introduced free shipping earlier this year, we never intended to offer this promotion permanently, but we wanted to continue to offer it as long as we possibly could to help ensure homebrewers everywhere could get the freshest, highest quality ingredients possible no matter where they lived.

Since 1991, we have been providing the freshest ingredients and a wide array of brewing supplies to homebrewers from all over. In order to continue to offer all the great things you've come to expect from us, we must adapt to the market and continue to change. This is why we have been working tirelessly to roll out a brand new website and in-store purchasing system that will be introduced early next year.

We appreciate your patronage and are here for you if you need ingredients, equipment or have questions on making great beer, wine, or cheese at home!

- The AHS Management Team

This makes me sad......:(:(:(:(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I wonder how much they were loosing on it, it obviously wasn't economical to continue it. It's too bad, the free shipping made them my go to.

I suspect this will be the final push I need to go all grain and buy from my local shop...

I suspect this will be the final push I need to go all grain and buy from my local shop...

I'll help you with a little nudge. All grain is so simple that even I can do it and if budget is an issue, it takes so little to start that you can recover all your costs on the first batch. Think small, do half size batches in the equipment you already have with the only additional cost being for a pair of paint strainer bags. BIAB wins for simplicity and for speed too. Look it up!

Lately shipping rates have crept up and up. I do the internet order processing for my lhbs and to ship a 10# package UPS runs about $11 to the other side of the country, near a major airport or UPS hub, couple dollars more if further distance away. FedEx announced a price hike the first of the year as well. I can see why they have canceled the free shipping, can only loose so much money for so long. We do offer free shipping for over $100 on most products.

I'll help you with a little nudge. All grain is so simple that even I can do it and if budget is an issue, it takes so little to start that you can recover all your costs on the first batch. Think small, do half size batches in the equipment you already have with the only additional cost being for a pair of paint strainer bags. BIAB wins for simplicity and for speed too. Look it up!

Welp, I ordered 2 extract kits today, and they'll be my last. BIAB will follow. My lhbs prices are creeping down and they'll mill grain for you...

I don't understand. Is everyones lhbs that expensive? I can get bulk extract and grains for less there. Even the "chain" stores couldn't beat their prices. I don't go anywhere else. Love them!!

My "LHBS" is a 4 foot square section plus an end cap in a local food coop. They are rather expensive and while they try to stock the popular stuff I have never seen a Belgian yeast nor rye or wheat malts. Even the dry yeast selection for beer is limited to Nottingham.

That's a bummer - I was impressed with the one kit (Janet's Brown) that I bought from them. Love that they offer partial mash options on most recipes. Also the AHS versions of commercial beers is a pretty large and impressive collection.

I don't understand. Is everyones lhbs that expensive? I can get bulk extract and grains for less there. Even the "chain" stores couldn't beat their prices. I don't go anywhere else. Love them!!

Yeah my local ones are ridiculous. Base malts are about $2.49 a pound or more. You don't want to know about specialty grains

Back