Bar Keepers' Friend and Silver Solder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently did some soldering on my SS pots and did a final cleanup with Bar Keeper's Friend. The SS looks great but the silver solder was turned black?

Anybody else see this? What would be the best way to clean this off? I will try normal soap and water tomorrow. Maybe PBW?

Thanks.

Reads like it might be silver oxide, which is a black-ish compound.
You may be able to remove it using hydrogen peroxide...

Cheers!

If I'm correct, what you're looking at is the equivalent of tarnished silverware.
I wouldn't think there'd be much of a health hazard - thinking about what a pita removing tarnish from silverware is, it seems pretty darned stable...

Cheers!

Thank you. I am kind of bummed that BKF makes the solder areas black as I have always used it after every brew. I guess I need silver smith's friend - SS edition.

I have soaked the pot in PBW overnight and the solder did not change. I then soaked the pot in Star San overnight and it still did not change. So I guess it is a permanent fixture.

So I guess I would like to know if it is clean or not if I continue to use PBW for my normal brewing cleaning. I will send an e-mail to John Palmer to see if he has any input.

Hey Bobby,

I will give drying it a shot. I am not too concerned with the appearance but more about if it is fine to brew with Both places are involved in the mash and wort runoff. So no boiling temps.

Back