Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
As a complete noob to home brewing (and a general cheapskate) I was looking for a way to move my brewing outdoors without spending a lot of cash. I saw the Brinkman turkey fryer at Home Depot for about $59 and I thought, "Hey, that's the deal for me! I get a 30 qt. brew kettle and a propane burner for less than 60 bucks!"

Let me tell you this is another case of "you get what you pay for". I did make several batches of beer in this rig, but I found the tall aluminum kettle difficult to pour out of and slow to boil (a lot of surface area dissipates heat). I dropped it once and but a huge ding in the bottom that I had to hammer out (still looks like crap). There remains the issue of getting the protective oxidation layer built up on the aluminum and not messing it up (which I've yet to figure out). The burner was very difficult to modulate and at lower settings it would often just snuff out. And after about 8 or 9 batches the thermocouple took a dive and the burner just quit in the middle of a boil. Replacement parts are not available so it can't be repaired. I now have a 60 dollar paper weight.

Moral to this story? If you are new to brewing and thinking of buying one of these rigs to save some bucks, forget about it! Suck it up and spend $80 - $120 and get a good 30 - 34 qt. stainless kettle from one of the mailorder houses and then drop the other $50 to get a Bayou Classic Sq14 burner. You are most likely going to end up with this combination anyway, so why waste $60 on this thing while you are getting there?

I'm having similar problems. I bought a nice 30 qt stainless steel pot and decided to use the burner from my turkey fryer (I elected not to use the pot that came with it for brewing.)

The burner is giving me all sorts of grief. I've had the same issue with it flaming out when I try to turn it down too low and even if I try and go too high. (didn't realize it had happened until I smelled propane since I was distracted. Scared the crap out of me) I will be dropping the money on a Bayou Classic here in the next few weeks.

I will be dropping the money on a Bayou Classic here in the next few weeks.

You'll be amazed at the difference in the amount of control between the two burners. The Bayou Classic is a good tool for the job.

I sprung for a 34 qt SS brew kettle and used it for the first time last night. Between the new burner and the nice kettle it made the whole process a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable. Sure heated things up faster too, so had to pay closer attention! :)

The Bayou Classic (SP10, in my case) is awesome. It is very easy to modulate and barely sips propane. I'm pretty sure you could get 12-15 batches out of a single propane tank. A buddy gave me an old 1/3 full propane tank that he wasn't using any more and said I'd probably get 2 batches out of it. I just finished up my 4th and I bet I can squeeze at least one more out of it.

Also love my KAB4, after modding for keggle. You can see in this pic I raised the burner up to the top, there is a thread somewhere on this forum on how to do that. It is super adjustable and gobbles gas on full but I barely have to run it and it gets a boil fast.

image-2256265275.jpg

I started years ago with the ole Turkey Fryer setup.

Since then the aluminum kettle has become a HLT. I now use stainless for all my brew kettles. Not because I had any issues with the Aluminum, but because a couple were gifted to me and were better sizes.

I've retired my aluminum turkey fryer kettle for the time being. At 30 qts. it was always on the verge of a boil-over at the beginning of every boil. Couldn't do a recipe calling for a 90 min. boil because it would lose too much to evaporation.

Also love my KAB4, after modding for keggle. You can see in this pic I raised the burner up to the top, there is a thread somewhere on this forum on how to do that. It is super adjustable and gobbles gas on full but I barely have to run it and it gets a boil fast.

View attachment 111161

Cool setup! I need to do something like that. How long have you had it set up like that? Work as good as it looks?

Puddlethumper said:
Cool setup! I need to do something like that. How long have you had it set up like that? Work as good as it looks?

Had it about 4 months now I guess. I based my build off this: http://www.davincisworld.com/CastleRooms/Brewery/HomeBrew.htm

Lots of three tier gravity fed plans out there. Works well, I'd like to move to single tier with pumps one day but for the time being this is great. I can do a 10 gallon AG if the grain bill not too high (haven't tried yet), unlimited gravity 5 gallon batches, and with just the keggle and kab4 (

Back