Co2 regulator and gas line problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieDamo

Reaction score
Hi gents.

I've built and installed a new customised Growler filling set up at work. It is a two-line system running from a single Co2 cylinder which uses two counter pressure filling guns to fill the bottles. The taps have a both a gas and beer line inlet. I have a dedicated beer line for each and spliced/shared gas line to the guns and kegs respectively.

After a bit of trial and error, everything seems to be working in terms of the mechanics e.g. gas is flowing when valve is opened on the gun to pressurise bottle and beer is flowing when the beer side of the valve is opened. The kegs and Co2 cylinder are both in the cool room and never had any temperature issues with the previous system.

The issue I am having is that my gas regulator is acting up. It is shooting gas out of the Safety blow off outlet and freezing over. I've tried adjusting the pressure, equalising the lines etc. but as soon as the cylinder valve is opened, it starts to hiss and piss gas out at a fast rate and ices over.

Any ideas? I can give more detail if needed and have added pics to illustrate as well.

Cheers
Damo

PIC 1- basic tubing diagram
PIC 2- the c-pressure filler guns installed with gas and beer inlets connected
PIC 3- the gas line coming off the regulator split from a T piece into lines for keg 1 and 2 and then through the wall towards the filling point. The line is split again at another T piece into seperate lines for Gun 1 and 2.
PIC 4- single outlet regulator
PIC 5- iced over regulator. Blow off safety valve pictured

14556084_10154482581803758_704994145_n.jpg

14536848_10154482588483758_1565983986_o.jpg

14522033_10154482605708758_172065172_o.jpg

14599692_10154482583213758_743263106_o.jpg

14599769_10154482591418758_1040322457_o.jpg

I'll confess when this first appeared I missed the actual problem.

Two possibilities: there is debris caught between the seat valve and the diaphragm; or the diaphragm has a crack or hole and isn't holding pressure in the first place.

Give this a try to clear any debris:
- shut off the cylinder valve
- remove the gas line from the low pressure (output) port
- turn the regulator pressure knob to what would be a really high pressure (which will create a gap between the seat valve and diaphragm).
- might want a glove for this last part: get a good grip on the cylinder/regulator assembly with one hand, point the naked output port in a safe direction, then open the cylinder valve to create a good blast (do it a couple of times).
- turn the regulator pressure knob to its minimum setting, hook the gas line back up, open the cylinder valve, and see what happens.

If it still blows gas out the relief hole, the diaphragm went to Heaven.
Rebuild kits are inexpensive when available - and easily installed...

Cheers!

[edit] For the record, that's not the pressure relief valve - the PRV is inside that brass hex section between the low pressure port and gauge.
The little hole assures the pressure on the outside of the diaphragm is that of the atmosphere...

Back