Duotight beer filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I just came across this item today: https://torontobrewing.ca/products/beer-filtering-system-10

Have any of you used it? If so, where did you get the filter? I'm thinking I'd like to try one to go between my fermzilla and keg, hoping it would reduce the time to clear beers. Thoughts?

Thanks
I'm going to bite the bullet on this early/mid June. I've seen this

That is what really sold me on the filter. I current dose with gelatin and will say it's not an overnight success like quite a few articles would have you believe. It definitely helps though! I've been really into lager brewing with the Fermzilla and figure this could potentially help step up my game just a bit more :)

I personally use biofine but this really requires you to be able to crash chill so as long as you have glycol cooling or chamber to put your fermenter into this is the way to go.

I also sometimes use this device to prevent a small amount of particles getting stuck in the draft system too:

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/duotight-8mm-5-16-filter-100-mesh

With that said the above filter is no good for yeast filtration but generally the biofine has done a good job of that. Most of the silicone based fining agents these days have come a really long way and are way better than the old gelatin options so I would suggest you change off gelatin. I have not tried this product but I am assuming it's similar to biofine:

https://cellarscience.com/products/silafine-beer-fining-agent

It's probably the same active ingredients.

Oxidizing your beer is a potential enemy when using filter systems such as those. Unless you can liquid pre-purge the system using CO2 or N2.

Yes I would tend to agree with this. The usage of a large 10inch filter housing does introduce some risk.

For dark beers like stout or porters this some oxidation will not be very noticeable but for light flavored beers you will certainly have to manage this risk.

I personally use biofine but this really requires you to be able to crash chill so as long as you have glycol cooling or chamber to put your fermenter into this is the way to go.

I also sometimes use this device to prevent a small amount of particles getting stuck in the draft system too:

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/duotight-8mm-5-16-filter-100-mesh

With that said the above filter is no good for yeast filtration but generally the biofine has done a good job of that. Most of the silicone based fining agents these days have come a really long way and are way better than the old gelatin options so I would suggest you change off gelatin. I have not tried this product but I am assuming it's similar to biofine:

https://cellarscience.com/products/silafine-beer-fining-agent

It's probably the same active ingredients.
I am able to crash chill and would be willing to put in the extra effort in filtering with the above setup if it would significantly speed clarification up with problem yeasts such as 1007, 2565, and heck even lagers. The filter I referenced was a 1 micron washable filter. Have you had much experience with that setup or is biofine/gelatin really the better way to go?

I've used that filter 3 times, one bad outcome, one good and one still conditioning. The bad one wasn't because it was oxidised but I wonder if I transferred/filtered the beer too early. I don't think oxidisation will be a much of a problem for most beers if you starsan- or co2-purge the setup properly.

I am able to crash chill and would be willing to put in the extra effort in filtering with the above setup if it would significantly speed clarification up with problem yeasts such as 1007, 2565, and heck even lagers. The filter I referenced was a 1 micron washable filter. Have you had much experience with that setup or is biofine/gelatin really the better way to go?
The @KegLand floating diptube filter is good for keeping yeast rafts (if any remain) out and can be useful in weighing down the tube to keep it submerged... it's one of those 'works for you but not for me' things, but it's so inexpensive you may want to give it try.
As to the 10"; I watched that same video and while the filter can be useful, the technique in the video is horrendous!!! "let's churn as much O2 as we can in this!" I have that type of filter and I've gone through the annoying turning over, lifting, purging etc. to get all the air out and properly sanitize and purge the thing and then use it for a proper closed transfer. It gave me some of the clearest beer I'd kegged.....until I learned to simply be patient and properly cold-crash and use a floating diptube. :p
If you're in a hurry to keg your beer clear, it does work great but you have to put in a lot more work to use it properly and for me it's just not worth it. That said, I still keep it in my brew-cabinet in case I ever feel the need to use it again for whatever reason.
:mug:

The @KegLand floating diptube filter is good for keeping yeast rafts (if any remain) out and can be useful in weighing down the tube to keep it submerged... it's one of those 'works for you but not for me' things, but it's so inexpensive you may want to give it try.
As to the 10"; I watched that same video and while the filter can be useful, the technique in the video is horrendous!!! "let's churn as much O2 as we can in this!" I have that type of filter and I've gone through the annoying turning over, lifting, purging etc. to get all the air out and properly sanitize and purge the thing and then use it for a proper closed transfer. It gave me some of the clearest beer I'd kegged.....until I learned to simply be patient and properly cold-crash and use a floating diptube. :p
If you're in a hurry to keg your beer clear, it does work great but you have to put in a lot more work to use it properly and for me it's just not worth it. That said, I still keep it in my brew-cabinet in case I ever feel the need to use it again for whatever reason.
I currently use the floating dip tube and filter in the fermzilla and that definitely does help keep the big crud out. I'm more concerned with the other crud that gelatin drops out and such. After seeing these comments though I'm seriously considering calling the filter idea a wash

I currently use the floating dip tube and filter in the fermzilla and that definitely does help keep the big crud out. I'm more concerned with the other crud that gelatin drops out and such. After seeing these comments though I'm seriously considering calling the filter idea a wash
If you can get one for cheap and you don't mind the extra work to get it properly purged, it may do what you want it to... like I said; doesn't work for me, but I've read others who love it. Have you considered the smaller 'beer buddy' type filters?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...MboiDqiD&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

The beer buddy is 150 micron. The washable filter is 1 micron so pretty significant difference in filtering

I may just have to try Silafine in that case. I wonder if you could just dose a keg with it and leave it in the keg for the duration of serving?

Back